Re: using instant glue to stop wood-rot spores from germnating?

It might work but why guess? I'd be more inclined to identify the culprit and deal with it directly. If you can isolate areas that contain the offending fungi and spores you could make contact with someone knowledgeable, perhaps at a university in your area with a good biology department or forestry department. If they could grow the material they could help evaluate the effectiveness of various toxic remedies. Most home inspectors do not have specific knowledge, the have opinions.

It may well be that something else is easier to apply and more effective than cyanoacrylates. A quick Google search yielded the site below that suggests that for at least one species borates are effective.

luck.

Phil

Barclay wrote:

I've been a woodturner for years, using instant glue to fill voilds > and large pores in exotic woods. The rear deck of my house has just > been declared unslavageable by a private building inspector I had come > out to evalusate water damage steming from a broken washing machine > hose (get the steel-belted ones everyone! Thery're $18 at the borg, > the hot water is far more important than the cold. It will save you a > mountain of unexpected heartache). This inspecter has said that I > have rot in three of 14 beams which cantileever out from the house > four feet (they are the extended floor joists of the second floor of > the house), and that this rot can not be successfuly cut out and those > beams repaired/reinforced because the rot and fungus, even if cut off > to what seems to be healthy and firm wood, is still in there and it > will keep growing and infecting and it will cause disentegration of > the cantileevered supports within a short period. Even the newly > added sistered supports will rot within a few years he says - I have > to either tear off the deck or replace the beams entirely (this > involves replacing the floor joists of the second story of the house). > I buy instant glue by the quart and was decanting it to smaller > containers today when it occurred to me that I could drench the joists > with it before sistering the supports on - it's such toxic stuff. It > don't mean to support anything with the glue, obviously this will not > work, just aneal the wood cells together to prevent the spores, etc > from germinating further. What do you-all think of this...am I nuts?
Reply to
Phil

Check out

. They make coatings that contain selenium which is antibacterial and anti fungal.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Hopkins

Generally, fungus requires moisture to grow. If the wet conditions are removed, the rot will slow or stop. You can, like a surgeon removing cancer, simply cut out and remove the rotted part and sister onto the remaining solid portion. Use pressure treated or other rot resistant wood as a replacement. Bleach will kill most rot/mold.

If indeed the rot is due to other causes (rather than from a leaking washing machine hose, then that problem needs to be solved first. Basically if you keep the wood dry you should be ok.

Reply to
JackD

It's also great for making certain species of aliens explode on contact.

Reply to
Silvan

It's funny that you say that because just the other day I tossed some on one because I was out of water and sure enough he exploded.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Hopkins

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:35:39 -0700, Luigi Zanasi pixelated:

Is that CA-OSHA approved, WeeGee?

(You and I both know that ain't CalOSHA, neither.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends --

Comprehensive Website Development --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 20:44:43 GMT, Larry Jaques scribbled

Check out the MSDS for Bora-Care - pretty benign, other than the antifreeze.

that, according to the MSDS:

"None of the major constituents have been identified as carcinogens or probable carcinogens by IARC or OSHA."

BTW, no OSHA in CA (not Cal). We do have Occupational Health and Safety units in provincial/territorial governments or workers compensation boards, as well as an equivalent federal one for industries under federal jurisdiction (e.g banking, transport, telecommunications) but no overriding federal agency.

Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi