Re: Standard dimensions and proportions

Now compare with "measured drawings" of colonial furniture, and you'll find out why you don't want to copy them.

I think the "standard" for bathroom fixtures and kitchen counters is due for an upward revision. Or perhaps it's my aging back.

> > >I recently obtained a copy of _Working Wood: A Complete Bench-Top > >Reference_ by Jim Tolpin (ISBN0-87192-301-7) > > > >There is an interesting section on "standard" dimensions for a large > >number of furniture objects, including cabinets (casework), 20 types of > >tables, 16 types of chairs and sofas, and 24 types of desks and office > >furniture. > > > >There are also tables of dimensions for averge men and average women, > >when standing, such as eye level, elbow height, countertop height and > >dimensions when sitting. I many cases he gives the dimensions for people > >in wheelchairs too. > > > >For diningroom tables, he gives the space needed per place setting, the > >general proportion (width = 5/8 of lenght), distance from bottom of > >apron to floor, etc. > > > >There is lots of good information here for designing or for changing a > >design. > > > As there is in the AWI and AIA specs that he took them from. > > Architectural and Graphic Standards is a weighty and costly book but > is a great resource for a maker of fittings and furniture. > > Older copies, which contain most of the useful data concerning > ergonomics and standardization, can be had for a few dollars. >
Reply to
George

What is the source (or date) of the anthropometric data he use's? Much of what I see is based on much smaller people than now seem to be around.

Phil

K.-Benoit Evans wrote:

Reply to
Phil

I don't know what data he uses, but most of the large, up-to-date data sets come from military personnel around the world. I haven't looked for a long time, but recent data sets may be difficult to find for free. Try

is the Defense Technical Information Center website for HSIAC (Human Systems Information Analysis Center). They disseminate technical information relating to human factors (including anthropometric data) to the DOD, private organizations, and individuals.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Mahaney

Two good documents for Human Factors design there are:

very good references that would cost a bunch if they were commercial publications. The data in them is updated every few years.

Rico

Reply to
Rico

Excellent documents. Not much direct anthropometric data, but there are some good dimensional guidelines for things like workstations and storage units, etc. For the average woodworker these guidelines would probably be of more use any way. Using the anthropometric data directly would take a lot of extra work. A while back it was difficult to find mil std 1472 online. It is now easily obtainable.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Mahaney