Re: Stain Experiment Update

Joat- for what it's worth, tea has a long history of being completely accepted as a coloring agent for wood. it's a part of many recipies for matching colors for the repair of antiques. generally the recipies call for a strong batch- I assume stronger than you'd want to drink it. Bridger

A few weeks back I posted something on using coffee and tea for >stain. > > Earlier, I was in the shop and came across the piece I had used for >testing. > > The coffee had 1 coat, 2, 3, and 4, with a coat of poly across each. >They all looked good, especially where the poly was. The coffee had >taken longer to dry than the tea. I ran a finger across the poly, good. >Then I happened to touch the 4 coat beside the poly. It was still >sticky. So was the 3 coat. The 1 and 2 were fine. > I'm not sure what they're like under the poy, but that's it for my >experimenting with coffee as a stain. The tea now, dried geat, dried >faster than the coffee, and looks almost as good. So, I'll be using >just tea for staining. > > Yeah, I might get better stain from commercial stuff, but it could >get very expensive before I got one that'd give me the look I want, >while tea gives me just the look I wanted, it's a lot cheaper, I can >even replenish at any stop-n-rob, and it's invirermentelly (sic) safe. > > I'm having a good time in a tent.
Reply to
Bridger

Using tea as a stain is also the best answer to the proliferation of gift baskets filled with otherwise undrinkable herbal concoctions. f'r instance using all extra-strength brews- - rose hip tea makes a brilliant blood-red color. - chammomile brews to a yellow/pale green. - ginger brews to a golden yellow.

vic

Reply to
Victor Radin