Re: Sensitized to formaldehyde/need workbench

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 00:40:31 -0400, the infamous "Bill" scrawled the following:

>> Bill | 2009-08-14 | 5:37:28 AM wrote: >> >>>My garage floor is badly stained too--from trans fluids, paint >>>stains, and who knows what... >>>I've heard there are some good options >>>painting the floor (epoxy-related)--I haven't learned yet how much >>>prep they require. >> > > >"SteveBell" wrote > >> Yes, some of the floor products are good, but the good ones are very >> expensive, and the ones you buy at the big-box stores aren't the good >> ones. All of them need a good, clean surface to bond to, so you'll >> spend tons of time cleaning the concrete beforehand. You might even >> have to rent a concrete grinder. Before you make up your mind what to >> do, look at options like rubber tiles and roll coverings. >> >> -- >> Steve Bell >> New Life Home Improvement >> Arlington, TX USA > >I called a fellow (Indiana): $2000 to prep and surface my two car garage >with >something claimed to be 4 times as strong as epoxy.

He saw YOU coming, eh?

He said the prep >(concrete grinder) >is the expensive part when I said that I don't need to have it look like an >auto >showroom--that I mainly was interested that it be cleaned. > >Since then, I learned that I can locally rent a big gas or electric concrete >grinder for $95/day (I >will call to find out if I should expect other expenses such as grinding >disks). > >A gallon of epoxy covering from Lowes is about $60 and is supposed to cover >250 square >feet. My garage is 450 square feet, so I'll need two gallons. If this sort >of product is only >"good", then what other coverings might you recommend ? Epoxy "Paint" seems >more desirable to me than rubber tiles or roll coverings. > >Any thoughts welcome of course.

I recommend forgetting the acid cleaning, grinding, and epoxy paints. They're overkill. Just clean and paint.

I scraped mine down and found the concrete had already been sealed. I then mopped (paint thinner or denatured alcohol, I don't recall), let it dry, and rolled on porch paint. I've had to touch up some scuffs, where I dragged metal feet around, but it has otherwise worn really well for about 7 years now.

Anything's going to get scuffed, so just use a good grade floor/porch paint and get on with it. I spent lots of time scraping off the glued-down carpet padding, but the paint only cost me $30 or so. Mine's a 2-car shop with attached home.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

By the time you get the surface prepped (90% of the work?), I'm not sure the epoxy covering is that much more difficult to apply than paint. In my case the covering will cost less than the cleaning. I've heard alot of people rave about epoxy, less so about paint. Although I've seen pictures and samples, I haven't (knowingly) seen an epoxy floor firsthand, so I can't say more.

Reply to
Bill

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 00:23:06 -0400, the infamous "Bill" scrawled the following:

Hey, if you spent 4x the money and lots of extra prep work on a standard paint job, you'd rave about IT, too. I like epoxy about as much as Thompsonz WaterSchmeal, and that ain't saying much.

Ask some of those ravers about repair costs sometime. (I've chiseled the info out of some who didn't repair due to the extra costs.)

I don't really like 'em. The half a dozen I've worked on have been more slippery than any paint when wet. You can sand 'em, but then they're hell to sweep.

Reply to
Larry Jaques