RE: O/T: It Ain't Over Till It's Over

For Yogi it's over at 90.

That fork in the road must still br there.

Lew

A devoted Yankee Hater, but Yogi was the exception.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Just remember, wherever you go--there you are!

Reply to
Bill

I wonder if he went to heaven. It's really crowded there.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

He already did 14 years in purgatory (Yankees).

Reply to
krw

I guess you are jealous of a winning team. One that cares to invest to get the winning team, or get the from the farm... For years yankees had the best farm teams around. They just recognized good talent.

Reply to
woodchucker

Would it be any better if I replaced "Yankees" with "the Bronx"? ;-)

...and paid like it.

Reply to
krw

I expect that KRW did not catch DerbyDad's reference about it being crowded, which is a reference to a YB quote ("Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded").

Or perhaps, he was just being a dick, as usual, and dissing a sports team that competed successfully against his favorite team.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

They did have the best team money could buy, but winning allowed them to make the money. I'm not crazy about pro sports, but I did have a lot of respect for Yogi.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes that I understand. The bronx was a nice place in it's day probably up until the late 40's early 50s.

Reply to
woodchucker

I'm not a big fan of baseball, either (it's a great sport watch if you're reading a book). I don't mind anyone making money or spending it but it gets a little boring if the same teams are in the finals, year after year.

+1 on Yogi. A class act, all around.
Reply to
krw

As usual, you're wrong.

As usual, you're wrong. You may like the same trite comments but there was another angle in there. Lefties assume everyone else is stupid but they're the ones with room temperature IQs.

Reply to
krw

--------------------------------------------------- Yankees had a basic endless source of mature talent when it came time to make the pennant run.

They simply bought up whatever talent was available from the smaller cash strapped clubs in the league.

Teams like the St Louis Browns come to mind.

After Steinbrenner bought the Yankees, he had the family resources of Kinsman Transit which then morphed into AmShip with ship yards in Tampa, Fl, Toledo and Lorain on Lake Erie.

Steinbrenner told the union in the Lorain yard, he would shut the yard down if they went on strike.

After no progress on a contract for a couple of years, the union went on strike.

After a couple of more years, a contract was accepted by both sides.

The next day, as promised, Steinbrenner shut the yard down.

It wasn't an unexpected turn of events, they weren't building any new iron ore boats anyway.

With that background, what would you expect him to do with the Yankees?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Not much at present as he is dead.