Re: Metric

>But what seems to be the reason for the US hold-out to stay with an >>archaic system?

> >Well, I think it is pretty complicated stuff to move from Imperial to metric.

The easiest way would be to repeal the laws that forbid voluntary full metrication and trade in metric only products.

For example, the FPLA is a Federal law covers packaged goods that you see in the supermarket. It mandates non-metric units on the label. A two liter bottle with a label that says "2 L" is legal in all countries except the USA. There is a proposal to change the FPLA. Many manufacturers want the freedom to offer metric-only labels (as you can see with wine and liquor) and don't want to pay the costs of relabeling just for the US.

Many Americans are unaware that non-metric units are mandatory.

Reply to
pat

You bring up a good point. Let's face it, only Congress would know what is best for us. We should do as the say.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Ed Pawlowski" snipped-for-privacy@snet.net wrote in news:Rtidna-L3IbW5jrXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Ed, you are as confused as most Americans. Except the lobbyists. They know everything much better.

Reply to
Han

Uh, Ed, I don't see how requiring "2L (2.1 QT)" instead of just "2L" or just "2.1 QT" is an example of "only Congress would know what is best for us".

Reply to
J. Clarke

Look up John, something just flew over your head.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Obviously it did--would you be kind enough to explain it?

Reply to
J. Clarke

How about this :) :) :) :) Get the idea?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski