Re: how white is "lily white"?

Greetings all,

> >I went to a "widow downsizing to apartment" auction today and bought a >box lot of stuff for $12. The main thing in the lot was a vintage >8x2x1 Norton/Pike Lily White Washita Oil Stone. The rest was a bunch >of sanding sleeves, a couple of hole saws; not exactly junk but maybe >worth $12 if you needed the hole saws. > > Anyway, the stone is very flat and doesn't look like it's seen a lot >of use. Can anyone tell me how white the stone should be if there >were no embedded steel from prior use? It's certainly not paper >white, but it's much more white than grey. Cleaning the stone off >with a paper towel and oil didn't lift much metal dust. It's flat so >there's no impetus shave off a layer in order to "flatten" it. I >don't think it's full of metal particles since I could feel it cutting >when I put an edge on a plane iron -- but until now I've been a >scary-sharp and waterstone user. The edge was similar to what I get >from SS. I think my knuckles are dragging a little more tonight than >last... Any hints or info on the stone would be appreciated. > >hex >-30- > >

Set a GOOD straight edge on it and see if there is any larger gaps in the length of the stone. That will tell you if it's flat enough.

Reply to
Other Brother Kevin

Thanks for the reply...

Straightest edge I own is one leg of a 6x8 machinists square. The result of laying the edge of the square on the stone and holding it up to the sky is a thin even line of light; the contact points are at the ends of the stone. I don't have anything remotely thin enough to use as a feeler gauge to measure it. I'm willing to say "flat 'nuff for now". The box for the stone suggests official Pike Oil, but that's not an option. Who makes good honing oil these days? Is it worth worrying over?

hex

-30-

Reply to
hex

It means she fooled around a lot, but never went all the way....

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

Have a traditional "You suck!" for the drive-by gloat. White Washitas are great stones, and extremely expensive in that size here in UK.

Any light mineral oil will do fine. Old-timers used to use milk: water = bite, oil = polish, milk = a mix of these properties. I reckon the stone would smell pretty rancid after while, though....

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Frank

Reply to
Frank McVey

Lily white? I have a lily white ass, so I guess it should be a pale peachy sort of color? :)

Reply to
Silvan

I'll vouch for her butt. It's very white. And very nice. Oh, and I do have a photograph... Posting to ABPW now.

Reply to
tnfkajs