Re: How hot is too hot? How cold is too cold?

I keep the shop at 69f.

Hard labor makes it necessary and my employees love it. We still sweat plenty and change tee-shirts sometimes, etc.... Can't imagine doing this in

80+ without the humidity removed...

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Joe AutoDrill

The hottest documented temperature I've worked in was a "heat index" of 107 while installing a ceiling fan on a screened porch last year. It was a "work 20 minutes - cool off 20 minutes" process. The day was hot enough that the grandkids - both pre-school and usually nose-deep in any type of "work" - didn't want to stay outside and watch.

I don't (yet) have a sawdust-confining area in the basement, so I move the table saw out onto the (mostly shaded) back driveway when using it. This limits me to your rules: not so cold that my hands hurt (so usually above 55F) not so hot that I drip sweat on the wood (depends on temperature plus humidity)

At age 64, I've learned to invoke the "time to wimp-out" rules when necessary ;-)

I still cut, edge, and trim 1/4 acre of yard, just not in one continuous effort - I stop for water and shade a couple of times...

And when my wife wanted her grandmother's treadle sewing machine moved to the second floor, I waited until both 30-something sons-in-law were here and had them carry it up the stairs. There is some return on paying for two weddings ;-)

John

Reply to
John