Re: HD Disappointment, was Re: Delta disappointment

This may be a little off topic, but with the current economic situation, I find that I am cutting the folks at HD a little more slack. When I see a middle aged man working at HD (or Lowe's or at Target, etc), and they seem to be pretty nice guys, but maybe don't know anything about tools/lumber, I wonder if they might be laid off tech workers who just haven't found any work, and are now making 20% of what they used to make two years ago.

Maybe it's just 'cause I am a tech worker (and still employed), that when I run into someone like that, I think, "That could have been me." If I got laid off tomorrow and couldn't find any tech work for a year, I might have to take whatever came along to feed my family. I might be pretty clueless for a couple of months at the new job.

The "know it alls" who mislead me bug me, but I'm pretty kind to some of the older guys who seem to me like they might be nice guys, and want to be helpful, but never planned on working at HD at 57.

Mike

Reply to
Mike P. Wagner

Mike,

THANKS!

I was laid off on April 1, 2003 as a Senior Marketing Manager for IBM. When times are tough, you have to do whatever it takes. I started, part-time, at the (not yet opened) Home Depot in Newton, NJ last week. Partially to relieve the boredom, but mostly to get the benefits that start 90 days after your start date, Notice I didn't say the money. At less than 20% of what I am use to this is no way to earn a living for me. Interestingly enough I'm not the only displace, laid off high tech person. I know of one other guy who is in a very similar situation to me. Since part-time is only 20 hours, I can continue my job search during the days and work at HD in the evenings.

We all have our opinions of HD, but I am pretty impressed by the culture so far. This store seems to have a whole lot of people who get along well and know how and when to have fun (safely).

So thanks for understanding that some of us have to work in positions that may not utilize all our skills, training or specialties.

If anyone needs a marketing professional with extensive experience in software/hardwre/services and limited experience at big box HD retail give me a shout.

Oh, by the way, we're not all "older guys". I'm a young 46 !!

Andy

Reply to
Andy