Re: Drying large cubes

I recently saw some large cubes of oak ( must have been at least

> 30x30x30 cm) for sale in a home/interior magazine. Does anyone know > how they would have been made.

Are you sure they are solid oak? How much do they weigh? A solid cube of oak that big would weigh around 45 lbs! A veneered box seems more likely.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

pretty sure the block is solid. The magazine didnt say how much it weighed. i am contacting the company that sells it to check it is solid. It cost £135, which is quite a lot for a veneered box.

richard

Reply to
Richard campbell

They said it's solid wood but is it *one* piece of wood? Best bet would probably be to laminate 3 ~80mm or 4 ~60mm pieces together. Match them for grain and color and it should be fairly difficult to tell it from 1 solid piece. If you had to do it from a single piece of timber, you might try an old piece from a timber frame building that's already seasoned.

Reply to
Sam Krenov

Dry it VERY slowly.

Phil

Richard campbell wrote:

Reply to
Phil

Carvers who work on large blocks of wood usually follow this strategy.

Ken Muldrew snipped-for-privacy@ucalgary.ca

Reply to
Ken Muldrew

Think you may have found the answer in that it is reclaimed timber. looked at the companies website and saw that they make use of eco-friendly materials, so reclaimed would fit in. Cheers for the help.

Reply to
Richard campbell