Re: Chestnut oak

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 04:22:16 GMT, "Duane" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

Is chestnut oak any good as a woodworking wood? >I have a large tree that I am having taken down and was wondering if it >would be worth while to have a mobile mill come out and cut it up. In all >there would be about 5 trees (chestnut, red and white oaks) that would be >potential wood piles, but the chestnut is the biggest at over 60'. > >Thanks, >Duane >

no its not worth a damn. have it rough milled and ship it to me for disposal

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Sounds like a rather small tree but good grain. I believe that Chestnut Oak is a member of the White Oak family and therefore would tend to have properties similiar to the White Oak family.

Reply to
Ramsey

Duane asks:

More like a white oak, which is what it is.

It does not have to be FILLED. It is subject to checking if not dried carefully (sticker, cover the top, keep out of direct heat for at least 6 months).

Species is Quercus prinus. There's also a swamp chestnut oak...Q. michauxii.

Heartwood is generally a grayish brown. Thin sapwood, seldom more than 2" thick (much whiter). Good durability (red oak is not durable at all).

Heavy. Hard. Useful as all get out and quite attractive with it.

Get it milled. Enjoy. Especially if you get a slew of QS 6" boards from it. I envy you. Mills in my area will not do quartersawing without a lot of screaming, and often not even then.

My personal preference in milling is to get most cut to 5/4, some to 9/4 and, if possible, a little bit sliced to 12/4 or 16/4.

And yes, QS is best for wood stability, even if you don't particularly want to see the rays.

Bandsaw sawmillers often will come to your site. They will also in some cases do a 50-50 split on wood for the cutting. Ask. Especially if you've got a bunch of trees.

Charlie Self

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

Ha ! Oak taxonomy ! There's a load of them, and they hybridise like crazy. Chances are that a sub-species in one place in entirely different to that just a few counties away.

By "chestnut oak", here in the UK I mean Quercus castaneifolia. It's rare, about as common as red oak (a rarity in the UK). It looks like an oak as a tree, but the leaves are only slightly indented into lobes. The acorns are distinctive, as the cups are hairy (but it's rarer than Turkey oak, which also has hairy cups, but deeper-cut leaves).

The other UK chestnut-leaved oak is the Japanese / Chinese chestnut oak, Quercus acutissima. This looks like an oak tree with chestnut leaves stuck to it. I believe it's known as the "sawtooth oak" in the US, because the leaf lobes have sharp points to them. It doesn't form acorns in the UK climate. It's also rare - I've only seen it in arboreta.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy Dingley responds:

Different species, I guess. Here, chestnut oak is classed as a white oak.

As to prominence of the rays, I can't comment. Been too long since I've seen any C. oak that I was sure was C. oak.

Charlie Self

"Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things." Dan Quayle, 11/30/88

Reply to
Charlie Self

Q robur (English white oak), not Q. rubra (the red oak)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Lawrence Ramsey responds:

My understanding was that it was live oak, which is evenharder than your basic white oak.

Dunno about picture framers, but something like 17 years ago, my wife had a white oak picnic table that was thena bout 15-20 years old. I painted it the year we got married. I tossed it about 5 years ago, because it had become a real source of dread when lawn mowing time arrived: I don't know what it really weighed, but it felt like 300 or more pounds.

Charlie Self

"Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things." Dan Quayle, 11/30/88

Reply to
Charlie Self

Well, that does sound logical. But live oak, as you know, grows on the southern coasts when they (southern coasts) were not yet part of the US. I dunno. Guess I'l have to research that.

Reply to
Ramsey

Reply to
Ramsey

Lawrence Ramsey informs us:

Thanks. Learn something new most days, even at my age.

Charlie Self

"Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things." Dan Quayle, 11/30/88

Reply to
Charlie Self

While you're at it, supposedly Capt. Isaac Hull was my great, great, great, great, great grandfather. Unsubstantiated family tale. The geneologists probably tell everyone that, but my grandparents really believe it, so what the heck.

Reply to
Silvan

Reply to
Ramsey

Yup. Could be indeed. Whether it is or isn't, neither one of us is getting any more famous.

Well, I'm not anyway. You, of course, are famous the world over as a wreck legend. :)

Reply to
Silvan

Silvan responds:

Word order, Michael, word order. It's probable that we're looking more at me as legendary wreck, not a legend wreck.

Charlie Self

"Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things." Dan Quayle, 11/30/88

Reply to
Charlie Self

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 17:52:27 -0400, Silvan scribbled

And you, Michael, are apparently famous the world over as an alt.os.linux.mandrake legend. :-)

The rest of you should check out how the regulars on that group feel about our own little Silvan. I just happen to lurk there occasionally since I decided to install Mandrake Linux on my computers.

104 posts celebrating his return! Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address
Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Ramsey schreef

sides: therefore, Old IronSIDES. Live oak is tough as nails.

  • + + Actually it was the frames of the hull that were made of live oak. I suppose the keel was made of something else.
  • + +

Ramsey > wrote:

southern coasts when they (southern coasts) were not yet part of the US. I dunno. Guess I'l have to research that.

  • + +
It came from Georgia, which was part of the US PvR
Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel

Reply to
Ramsey

Actually, you did not post a website? PvR

Ramsey schreef

Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel

Reply to
Ramsey

Well, hitting Google gives a big site which has this to say on materials:

does rather look like what I said, doesn't it? PvR

Ramsey schreef

Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel