Re: campbell hausfeld compressors quality

I suspect you got a bad one...and suspect that what every valve you think is broken, may be a bad one and is probably not an inherent problem. I think the bigger problem with these direct drive compressors is the Oil-less design. Some direct drives use oil.

Are there any known problems with quality with this particular brand? > > I've got a 4gal, oil-less, double hot dog (sorry, don't know the > technical terms) extreme duty, contractor grade, blah, blah, blah unit > that hasn't been used very much at all. But, the check valve seems to > be busted (based on symptoms and web site description - item #5 under > technical support). I'm in the middle of a job, deperately trying to > finish and the thing craps out (after very few hours of use). Gonna > take it in for service or return, but just wondering about reputation > (it broke so fast I suspect it's a defect; the other question is, have > they fixed the design so that it doesn't recur). > > THanx > Renata >
Reply to
Leon

I got a 20 gallon, 5hp belt drive on wheels when I built my house 6 years ago. It had a problem with the release valve a year ago, replaced it ($15) and it still running great. I think is finally getting broken in, runs better now (read less noise) then ever. Good value. That said, I have CH impact driver and it does just enough for me that I don't through it away; I don't think that comes as a surpise to anyone and not me either.

Renata wrote:

Reply to
Mike Coonrod

I avoid them whenever possible. I bought a Husky (made by Campbell Hausfeld) 26 gal oil-lube compressor last year that had a leaking weld which was clearly not caused by shipping damage. There is no excuse for something like that to leave the factory.

Reply to
AL

Reply to
George Berlinger

Go oil, it will be much quieter..

Reply to
Leon

I got nearly 10 years out of my first CH (same description as yours - w/ black tanks) doing construction day-in, day-out. The only problem was the trail of ballbearings it left behind on the last day:) I not have the new improved iron-fortified model (yellow now) - it has a bum switch but works like a champ.

Reply to
Eric Ryder

Reply to
JGS

Why? I think you've got it backwards. In case you haven't heard, petroleum oil makes a decent lubricant ;)

I just got a 10-year old oil-lube belt drive 3.5HP 15-gal for $60. Works like a champ.

Reply to
Mike Reed

Might want to reread his statement.

Reply to
Leon

That is the one I would get if I used it daily in the field.

Reply to
Leon

Renata,

Similar story: I too have the CH 4 gal, 3 hp (yeah, right), 'Extreme Duty' Contractor Series compressor...same as yours. The check valve crapped-out about 1 month ago after having owned and used (sparingly) for 1 year.

Interesting side: I bought it at The Despot, mostly due to the fact that is was marked down from $260 to $210 (sold out of box as returned/reconditioned). For a compressor of that size and price to be putting out 6+ SCFM at 90psi, I thought it was a steal and since, I have not come across any other brand that states similar volume for less. Since purchasing that unit, I have seen another unit (exact same model) on the floor at HD, out of the box, for the same price.

Conclusion: That particular model compressor by CH has a faulty check valve that fails frequently. Most get returned, you and I own the other 2.

Reply to
Peyton

I managed to pick up a little-used CH for $free. What gets me is the size of the outlet pipe. It smaller than the size recommended for my tools. I can't remember the sizes now, its a long way away. Seems the outlet is only 1/4" and I use 3/8" fittings and hoses, just like my tools need.

Reply to
MSH

Renata wrote: Group: rec.woodworking Date: Tue, Jul 15, 2003, 12:30pm (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@myrealbox.com (Renata) Are there any known problems with quality with this particular brand?

****************************************************** I have had a CH compressor for about 10 years. The cast iron compressor (oil in crankcase) and the motor are excellent. All of the control components, i.e., pressure regulator, unloader, on-off switch, etc., are very cheaply made and part of an integrated plastic assembly. I have had to replace this once at a price of $60.00. They have no in-house customer service department, When you call their 800 number you get a computer voice that directs you to their nearest service shop, according to your zip code, which is many miles away in my case. I will say that when I called this shop the person was quite knowlegeable. But it cost me a toll call and a 100 mile roundtrip drive to get a new pressure relief valve which leaked. I also replaced the drain c*ck, which was the type used on automobile radiators and impossible to open, with a ball valve that has a handle on it. When the next part fails I will buy another make of air compressor. Peace ~ Sir Edgar =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8= =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8
Reply to
Sir Edgar

You might want to reread mine. I was responding to the part about "wouldn't buy oiless" and "disposable compressor."

You see, the conversation could go like this:

mat: "Personally, I wouldn't buy an oil-less. I view them as more of a disposable compressor"

Mike Reed: "Why? I think you've got it backwards. In case you haven't heard, petroleum oil makes a decent lubricant ;)"

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Reed

I guess I still miss your point... he said, he would not buy oil-less. Meaning that he would only buy a oil lubricated compressor.

You seem to indicate also that the oil type would be the way to go, as he does.

Reply to
Leon

Ok, I'm a retard. I read it as "oil-lubed," not "oil-less." Once my brain sees something one way, I guess I don't really look at it closely again.

lol

my bad

Reply to
Mike Reed