Raising rack for Delta 16-1/2" drill press

The lower 12" or so of the raising rack on my Delta 16-1/2" floor drill press broke off. Anyone know how to repair this? Or, is there any online vendors that sell replacement parts? Any alternatives? Thanks

Reply to
Phisherman

Seems like you should be able to get replacement parts through Delta. I got a minor replacement part for a Dewalt router: reasonably priced, and was able to pick it up locally - since Delta, Dewalt, PC, B&D, and maybe others are all owned by the same group now, I assume the process should be the same. Just google delta replacement parts - the site is called ServiceNet. If you have your manual, or you can find a parts diagram online (try the ServiceNet site or Delta's site), googling the part number might help. You asked about alternatives: My DP is too old for these new-fangled things called gears (well, maybe not, but I think it is 1930's vintage), so I added a pulley and counterweight system to help raise the table. One pic available here:

are also fancy ones available commercially that use a cylindrical weight inside the column, but I went for simple and cheap. I got inspiration and help from some kind folks here:
picture from bottom). Hope this helps, Andy

Reply to
Andy

The rack may well be cast iron. Take it to a welding shop and have it brazed. Maybe make some sort of fixture to hold the parts in place to make it easier to get a good match up. On a floor drill press, I don't see that you'd be actually using that part of the rack much anyway, so a poor fit up might not be a show stopper anyway. Let the weld shop do the brazing and then you file out the tooth/teeth where the brazing took place.

Pete Stanaitis

Phisherman wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Welding shop worth its weight should need neither jig nor your services to file the teeth after the brazing!

n Jul 24, 11:13 am, spaco wrote:

Phisherman wrote: The lower 12" or so of the raising rack

Reply to
Hoosierpopi