Raffling off a project for a cause

Swingman wrote in news:VaydndDzmP5zTq3MnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I'm just lurking on twitter ... What's a lawn?? My spouse claims she has the rights to the outside, and is steadily diminishing the area where there are still weeds growing ...

Reply to
Han

Ask -MIKE- ... :)

Reply to
Swingman

Glad I could help. I've been fortunate but truely try to look after others. One never knows when one may be in need. I've mentioned my legs being shattered so I do understand what looking at a long healing process takes. It is a full time job. Some day maybe the medical field will be all about healing and not profit. Now I sound delusional.

Reply to
Mike M

My sister knows how I hate lawns and sent me a copy of her friend's book for Christmas. It was -so- fresh off the presses (several days) that I've had to let the ink air out for awhile. It looks like a real keeper but I haven't yet read it. Perhaps your wife would like a copy, too.

(not yet available at Amazon)

The New American Front Yard: Kiss Your Grass Goodbye!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

All the nice things Karl said about his young daughter cut it short to me. Having met her and talked with her she is one of the sweetest, nicest young ladies I have met in a long time. She really impressed my significant other with these same qualities, and that doesn't happen much.

Kathy and me have had the pleasure and privilege of staying in Karl's house with him and his lovely wife and their noisy puppies for the last three years now. That is how I met Michelle. She is charmingly shy, and never has there been a time when we visiting that she wasn't respectful and polite to her parents. We visit at Christmas time, and as Karl said, besides her employed work she has always seemed to be working on a couple of projects to help others in need enjoy the season.

Having just finished a prolonged illness with a family member, I think it is also important to remember how important the support group is around the person victimized by illness. I can't imagine how hard this is for Karl and Linda, but then I can't imagine having a better team around Michelle than Karl and Linda.

With all that in mind Karl, Kathy and I sending all the positive energy and prayers we can to all three of you. Please tell Michelle she is in our thoughts, to be strong, and that we are looking forward to seeing all of you soon.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That's the back yard on the cover of the book. The front yard has a bit of time to get there ...

Reply to
Han

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote in news:a878a8a1- snipped-for-privacy@5g2000yqz.googlegroups.com:

I haven't met anyone in the Caillouet family in person, but admire them greatly from interactions with Karl, and hearing the respectful way the treat each other and (most) others. My spouse's family has gone through a similar disaster, compressed into 5 months, as Robatoyand did and we know how both families have suffered and persevered. Thankfully Michelle has a disease that doesn't have the same prognosis (I think), but nevertheless she will need all the assistance anyone can give. I hope Karl and Michelle will not forgo to ask for help, virtual, mentaal and financial.

Reply to
Han

I walk by a number of those around here on a daily basis ... the pup is not impressed, but I like the idea.

Anything to keep the kids off the lawn, right Radcliffe?? ... ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:Ic-dnUj_OLFRtq_MnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

No problems with kids in my yard. Radburn has the parks for the kids. Each house has the kitchen on the street (mostly cul-de-sac) side, and another door that leads either directly to the park (ours) or via a walkway between houses to the park. See

Also many people here adher to the village theory: It takes a village to educate the kids. Very old-fashioned perhaps, but we try to keep it that way.

Reply to
Han

That's a grouchy old man joke, Han. Traditionally something old men are always yelling at the neighborhood kids:

Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:Cd2dndl_TpQnpK_MnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Yes, but I'd like a penny for every time it happened for real in the US. Just for a week, or maybe just a day. Could use it to help feed some hungry people ...

Reply to
Han

Truth were told, I'm the first one in the yard playing with them, especially if they have a remote controlled helicopter, airplane, or car ... my depression era parents refused to spring for an electric train. ;)

Not kidding, until I gave it one of the kids, I kept a remote controlled jeep in the shop just to tease both the neighbor's kids, and the dogs, with mysterious, unmanned drive-bys. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:yOidnUHXHNq7zK_MnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I had a wind-up spring-powered Mrklin trainset as a kid. Laid trak all over the attic, and let it plunge down in the stair well more times than I'd care to remember. Gave left-over pieces to a friend/trainbuff.

I did model rockets with my kids. My son now does some with his. Never went for the RC cars etc. Too expensive, not enough opporetunity to let them roam here. Waiting for really affordable quadracopters .

Reply to
Han

Reason for some very cautious optimism today with regard to my youngest daughter. Too early to be jumping for joy, but after a month of Interferon treatment, an MRI yesterday (yep, on Easter Sunday) indicated that tumors appear to be slowly regressing, and that bone growth is progressing.

Once again, thanks to all of you here who donated on her behalf, can't tell you how much that means to all of us.

Reply to
Swingman

Yeah!!!!!1

Reply to
Leon

------------------------------------------------------------- SUPER!!!!

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Swingman wrote in news:qcydnW-8f4ZEicfMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Wonderful news!! Sorry she had to suffer the interferon therapy, but it is the good result that she'll remember mostly, soon anyway!

Reply to
Han

Happy to hear that. It would be nice if there was a way to contribute and have it tax deductible. I've gone 4 years now with out paying income tax, and I enjoy not paying into the Ponzi scheme anymore then necessary. Just a thought but might help her raise more money.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

As I've said before, that was instigated by a family friend without my knowledge or input, but from what I understand I don't think it is possible for donations to an individual for medical purposes to be tax deductible for the donor without the recipient being some kind of registered 501(c) charitable organization.

I'm fairly certain that any donation is treated as a "gift" to the recipient and as a result would not be taxable as income to the recipient for Federal purposes.

Reply to
Swingman

Mike M wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Because this is to help a specific individual, rather than a charitable cause, it is not tax deductible. That does not imply that Give Forward isn't a noble and charitbale way to give, just that tax law doesn't let it be "charitable" for tax purposes.

Reply to
Han