Rabbet for mirror frame

Hello, all.

I am making a mirror frame (yes, I did a google search). I plan to make it for a 36" x 48" x .5" mirror using some free wide pine flooring that came with my house. I plan to use half-laps for the corner joints with gorilla glue, and will use a piece of hardboard for the backing that will not be inside the rabbet I make for the mirror.

Here is my question: given the mirror's dimensions, how much extra space should I allow for dimensional change of the wood? Should I just cut a rabbet that will allow exactly a 36" x 48" x .5" mirror, or should I allow slightly more space? I am a newbie, and would appreciate any advice y'all could give.

Thanks in advance.

-Barry K.

Reply to
BKeane71

Dimensional change will be negligible because wood shrinks and swells perpendicular to the long grain. In a picture frame wood movement will have very little effect on your design.

However, I would make the rabbet opening a total of 1/8" or so larger in each dimension than your mirror, just to make it easier to install the glass.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Knepper

Wood movement should not be much of a factor providing your frame is not ridiculously wide ... just allow enough room for easy installation of the glass: 1/8th all around should be ample.

Consider pegging the half-lap joints with a contrasting wood for extra strength and appearance.

Reply to
Swingman

Hummmm....half inch glass, 12 sq. feet of the stuff....about 75 lbs worth of mirror. One heavy dude to hang on the wall.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

WHOOPS!

Sorry, folks. After posting, I realized that the thickness dimension was incorrect. It should read 0.25 inches, not the .5 inches. Whooo, that would be one heavy mirror, eh?

Thanks.

Barry K.

Reply to
BKeane71

"BKeane71" wrote : : Sorry, folks. After posting, I realized that the thickness dimension was : incorrect. It should read 0.25 inches, not the .5 inches. Whooo, that would : be one heavy mirror, eh?

A tip. General practice is to paint the faces of the rebate with a matt black paint.

This helps to avoid showing a reflection of the inside of the rebate.

Jeff G

-- Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK Email address is username@ISP username is amgron ISP is clara.co.uk Website

Jeff Gorman

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BKeane71) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m10.aol.com:

Still gonna be somewhat heavy. Make certain you think through the provisions for hanging/securing the piece.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Thanks...that's a very good tip!