Question RE: Table Saw Switch Placement

Hi!

I am eyeing up a really good deal on a right-tilt Steel City Cab saw. However, I noted in the images, e.g.,

the cabling for the switch appears to interfere somewhat with access to the tilt adjustment wheel. Is this indeed the case? Or did they just slap the switch on there for the pic but there is better placement available?

Thanks!

D'ohBoy

Reply to
D'ohBoy

> that the cabling for the switch appears to interfere somewhat with

It looks OK to me. I think it is just a camera angle. You can look in the manual for some other pictures.

I am certain that it would not be difficult to relocate the switch. This is commonly done all the time on tables saws to install "safety switches".

And you can always give the Steel City folks a call. Maybe they can send out a picture that shows this at a different angle.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

> that the cabling for the switch appears to interfere somewhat with

Because the wheels are large and your arm moves up and down 8 or 9 inches you will be cranking with your left hand and arm reaching around the out side of the switch and cable. You will probably be banging your arm if you reach between the switch and the cabinet to make adjustments, cable or no cable. You will also be making tilt adjustments much less often thatn height adjustments. It would be a non issue for me but then again I would go left tilt.

Reply to
Leon

I think the cable you are referring to is line in to the switch with the other being line out to the motor. Maybe just stuck it up there to get it out of the way for the photo shoot. Should drop straight down and be led to your outlet, wherever that might be.

Or possibly they have it clamped under the table to lead it to the rear of the saw. Either way you can get it out of your way.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Thanks to all for their responses. While I did compromise on the tilt of the blade, I think otherwise I got everything I wanted!

D'ohBoy

P.S.: ToolKing has a 3 hp right tilt Steel City with the big table board and 30" fence for $1049! I got the TiN coated, 50" fence for $1299.

Reply to
D'ohBoy

I believe a lot of these saws allow you to place the switch were you want, depending on how you work the saw left or right, then provide the means for getting the cord out of the way. Does SteelCity have it's manuals on line to check

Reply to
asmurff