question for you contactor pros.

I've never gotten a permit for interior work in my own house. OTOH, I saw a homeowner wire all the receptacles he added using lamp cord. He was going to put up paneling.

When doing commercial work, we did get permits for anything but small jobs.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I haven't either. The only permit I've taken out was to build a garage. Amazingly, it came in at $9,999.99. ;-)

Yeah, I've seen houses wired with zip cord. OTOH, I've also seen some pretty shoddy work from original builders, too. I've found serious issues with every house I've owned. I do a far better job than the original electricians of any of them did.

Sure. The stakes are a lot higher than a homeowner putting up a few sheets of paneling.

Reply to
krw

Only permit I have been required to pull was for a panel upgrade, 100 square foot shed and under requires no permit, I check the city's website for limits and sizes before I do anything.

I have added several circuits to the panel since the upgrade, which was done my an electrician friend of mine. Couple years ago had a floating neutral, turns out the problem was outside of the house, city problem, they came and checked my panel first, the guy popped it open, poked and prodded, buttoned it back up and said "This is the best looking panel I have seen in a long time", we will have a crew here shortly to track it down outside.

Reply to
FrozenNorth
*> Is this normal?

*I'm not a contractor, but I play one on the internet. :) (Just couldn't resist that!).

I'm a stickler for getting permits and having a certified contractor do the work, but I have done lots of small projects, myself. In my area, permits aren't expensive. The last electrical permits, I had, cost $2 per circuit . I don't recall, for sure, but my construction permits may have cost $10 per minimum-moderate size improvement project. In the case of my shop remo del, since it's taking me so long to do it, I have to update the permits (w ith fee) every 6 months. The physical effort(s), to get them, were/is nomi nal, also.

My analogy: it's easier to smile, than to frown; It's less effort, all aro und, to be nice, than to be mean. Sometimes, when I hear of folks trying t o save money or dodge rules and regs (or aspects of), I get a sense that th ey may cut corners with the actual work or construction, also. As Karl es sentially says, the standards are in place for a number of good reasons (pe rsonal & community safety, quality, etc.), though some R&Rs seem foolish.

Probably the best bet, if/when in doubt, is simply to ask and learn, before diving into a project. Inquiring and learning doesn't cost a thing, usual ly, and being best prepared is mind-settling, as well.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Because as a firestop its purpose is to restrict air to a fire within the walls.

Reply to
dadiOH

Of course they would with you. Your pink house would stand out like a sore thumb.

:)

Reply to
none

We have a mixed bag of requirements on that here in San Antonio. We are la rge city that has expanded to engulf many smaller cities and incorporations . All of them have their own rules and regulations.

In San Antonio itself, you can perform just about any kind of >>repairs or maintenance

Reply to
nailshooter41

So that's a money grab.. they are not even ensuring it's built correct. So what are you getting for your money?

Reply to
woodchucker

As a contractor I get absolutely nothing. In most of the small incorporati ons they they nothing as well. In those small towns the city inspections d epartment is often run by the city fire chief, the second in command in the police department or a deputy mayor. You can guess what they know about b uilding trades.

You apply for inspections on one, possibly two days a week between certain hours. If the concerned folks of the inspection department are busy, you wa it until the following week. IT IS ONLY A MONEY GRAB. PERIOD.

We have some good inspectors here in San Antonio, pretty well trained. All contractors know about the painful experience of getting a permit for the small entities so we price accordingly.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41