Question about Teflon tape for air compressors

Not really. We do use "spanner" much more commonly than wrench, but rarely in plumbing. A ratchet wrench uses a "socket" but the common double-ended workshop tool is always a "spanner" (except amongst muzzleloaders with wheellocks). For the sort of adjustables used in plumbing we generally call them "waterpump pliers", "Moles", "Stillsons" (tradenames) or just "adjustables", sometimes wrenches but almost never spanners.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

There is a thicker Yellow colored Teflon Tape that is made for gas connections. I have been using Teflon tape on compressor fittings and air hose fittings for years however the Yellow stuff is much easier to work with as it tends to not stick back on itself.

Reply to
Leon

Teflon/ptfe for oxygen rich needs to be oil free, most tapes arn't oil free.

Its not always effective either:

caused by a Teflon taped thread leaking...

Reply to
Badger

I've seen "spanners" used on bicycles, cameras, old computers, and telescopes. These have fixed "C" shaped jaws with pins along one side. The pins interlock with holes or depressions around a ring-shaped nut. Other spanners have a ring-shaped business end to wrap around a strange shaped collar.

Here's some examples: For motorcycle shocks:

Lock rings, as seen on cameras and old computers:

Bicycle bottom bracket rings:

A pipe wrench would destroy the subjects!

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Hmmm I thought that a Stillson wrench was a smooth-faced pipe wrench.

Bill

Reply to
W Canaday

I've always heard them called "farrels".

Reply to
Stephen Young

Those are "pin spanners" and they are not always of a fixed span. I have several adjustable pin spanners that either hook into the face of a shallow ring that's been drilled to accept the pins or with a single pin meant to wrap around the outer edge of a ring that has been drilled on the edge (usually at several locations) to accept the pin.

I formerly worked as both a machinist and as a die-maker. Working to international standards (British, German, Japanese, American, French) will definitely cost you a BUNCH of money in tooling!

Bill

Reply to
W Canaday

that would be ferrule.

Dave

Reply to
David

That's a pretty big fire. I'm curious why you would associate a Teflon taped plumbing connection with it. Frankly, if Teflon was involved in any sense, I'd be more inclined to believe that the source of the problem was the failure of the pipefitter to properly tighten the joint.

I probably tape a dozen or so tapered pipe joints a week (I handle machinery setup and repair for my employer) and never have one leak.

Bill

Reply to
W Canaday

A Stillson is a pipe wrench (it's intended for gripping pipes, not really flat-faced nuts) but they always have asymmetric vee grooves cut into the faces. They need a certain amount of wedging action to work, because their jaws aren't parallel. Without the teeth I doubt they'd grip at all.

's generally a good guide to not trust any British domestic plumber wielding a Stillson. We don't use the large threaded connections where they'd be appropriate and they're infamous for chewing up the soft brass fittings we do have. A plumber with a Stillson probably has a horse and a stetson too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

I follow each manufacturer's recommendation.

Some of my tools are oil-free, like my Porta-Nails flooring nailer. Oil will quickly ruin them. Others need a drop or three daily, or even a constant source from an FRL unit in the air line.

With nailers, I've found that over oiling them can be almost as bad as not oiling them, as the extra oil gets all over the wood or woodworker.

One of the best suggestions I picked up a long time ago was to add a "literature drawer" to the shop. Manuals are stored alphabetically by manufacturer. Some of my tools don't get used that often and being able to find the manual quickly is priceless. I also staple the exploded view, purchase reciept, and other info into the manual.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Most tools come with general lubricating schedule advise in the manual. I use a couple/several drops in brad nailers per brad strip, and 5 or so drops in a framing nailer per slide load. A disc sander would get several drops every few hours of use. Pneumatic air tools such as impacts wrenches and ratchets use far more. The tool's sound changes subtly when in need of oil - but waiting till that point is probably problematic. If the tool hasn't been used in a while, I generally add a drop of two more than usual the first time.

I used a dedicated line lubricator with automotive tools, but would never do this with woodworking tools. Some are oil-free, they need varying degrees of lubrication, and subsequently using the hoses and such for finishing is out of the question - for me.

Of course, finishing requires clean air, and there are filters and moisture traps available for use. Clean hoses are also necessary. Even using the air for such pedestrian tasks as blowing dust off a sanded surface requires clean air.

So, it's a PITA, but I would (and do) oil tools individually and as needed. Another option is to have dual lines, one oiled, and one not. Automotive shops do a similar thing - either with segregated dedicated lines, or with 'modules' of air hose/lubricator/moisture trap/filter that can be moved about to service permanent basic air ports.

So, that didn't help you a bit, did it?

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Cylinder outlet valve where it was screwed into the neck of the cylinder, sealed with teflon tape...Small leak of a pyrophoric explosive gas (silane) leading toa big fire, last I heard £100,000,000 and still climbing....

Reply to
badger

I've been using Teflon tape on all my air line connections. No issues for 15 years. It might even be cleaner than dope--perhaps less chance of excess breaking off into the line.

Reply to
Phisherman

When properly wrapped around the male fitting before installing the fitting, it's almost impossible for any teflon tape to enter the tool's air inlet.

Dave

Reply to
David

So it's confirmed as silane then ? Not a big surprise.

I'd always have been wary having that sort of chemistry in a building that size. Last time I worked in a fab we were a single story garden shed. The corridors creaked as you walked along them, but if we blew ourselves up at least we wouldn't disturb the neighbours.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The problem with teflon is the failure mode. When it lets go, it sends millions of razor sharp shards of teflon in every direction at 850 miles per second. You definitely should take out all your teflon and replace it immediately. It's like having a bomb in your shop waiting to go off. Now I've never known anyone personally who was killed by exploding teflon, but I don't want to be the first. :)

DonkeyHody "We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid again---and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore." - Mark Twain

Reply to
DonkeyHody

I read somewhere that polytetrafluoroethylene, especially in conjuction with aluminium, causes Alzheimer's dementia. So that's another thing to be wary of.

Reply to
tm