Q: Variance in Plywood thickness

Yes, how can you expect an automated process to compete in a world of hand built cars, hand built electronics, ect.

Reply to
CW

I've used dados and rabbets on all of the cabinets I've done so far. No butt joints. I think this is relevant because I take up the "slop" in these joints. For example, let's say I have a dado that I draw as 1/4" deep, leaving 1/2" of meat in the sheet that gets the dado. This works in the drawing if you draw the sheets at 3/4" thick. However, in the actual cabinet, I would cut it a little less deep so that there is still a true

1/2" of thickness remaining, and thus the overall dimension of the cabinet remains true to the design. Does this make sense? So far, I've been able to build my projects according to the plans without worrying about the thickness variance of the plywood.

[snip]
Reply to
Mike Dembroge

Reply to
Wayne K

Quite the act of cooperation, they all make it small. As Swingman says, bend over and take it like a man.

Reply to
CW
30 years from now 3/4 plywood will measure just enough larger than 5/8 so you won't be able to make a single pass with a 5/8 router bit.
Reply to
CW