Protecting ones investment, regarding Cast Iron Tables.

Back in my old machinist tool and die days, we used molyb to keep all the metal parts happy, but we cut other materials and not wood. I was considering a good (natural bee not paraffin) wax, but I do know the detrimental affect wax has on wood. Anyone try an auto acrylic liquids or Mop & Glow?

or are there other products out there to try?

Thanks, Jim H.

Reply to
Tall Oak

There are several products made specifically to protect TS tops. Bostich TopCote and Empire top Saver are two that come to mind. Wax works for some but does never has for me. Wax does not protect wood from standing water as the water eventually penetrates the wax in a matter of a few hours. Condensation over night will do the same.

Reply to
Leon

I have used a product called Slipit for about five years. It come is pump liquid, aerosol spray and a gel that can be applied with a brush. I use the gel. It has the consistency of watered jello, goes on gooey but wipes off in seconds. I usually apply every 1-2 months. It is a silicon-free contact lubricant so it won't harm the wood but it does make miter gages and fences smoother

RonB

Ron,

You may remember the Slipit posts from a few years back where a number of us received a box full of Slipit products from the Slipit rep. I did a test using an old and dead 4" jointer I had. Top was divided into 3 sections. Bare clean cast iron, Slipit and Johnson's paste wax. Jointer was left on cement floor in shop for about 3 months. Johnson's paste wax was the clear winner.

I followed the link you posted and that is the first time I've seen a can that say's Table Sealant on it. In the past, Slipit never made any claims to rust prevention and they still don't. I can't find that same product on their site either so I sent an email tonight asking if they do have a rust preventative product. Slipit is wax based and at $10 per pint is some expensive wax that did not perform as well as plain old Johnson's wax.

I use wax on all my cast iron and unless some water is spilled on them - no rust. I live in upstate NY so it's humid here in the summer and my shop is not conditioned. If you get condensation on your equipment, then wax is not a good solution. Slipit spray or gel may be convenient to use - it's not as efficient on cast iron as plain old wax. The other products on the market such as TopCote are a bit pricey at $15 per can. They last longer than wax but for me, wax works fine and it's a 1 minute chore to wipe down the iron with a cloth dipped in the wax. Next day, before using the tool, a quick buff makes for a nice smooth top.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Thanks! It looks as if a little playing around will be needed. I'll try the TopCote first on my router table, but it looks like trying a few things to see what works best!

Reply to
Tall Oak

Reply to
Tall Oak

It does look like I'll have to experiment myself, I'll try em all. TopCote I'll even experiment with the Acrylic's. Since I do a lot of waxing I use Butchers, It may be easier just to keep that on hand and use that. humidity isn't a real problem and any condensation is really out of the question. Right now I use a good gear grease and when not using it for a period of time I just regrease it and wax paper and cover it loosely with a tarp. I'm just getting tired of working that grease off when I need it. Now Molybendum is really the best overall, just even messier then grease and once on it, just doesn't come off. I still think for long term storage (usually over the winter) nothing will beat a spritz of molyb then grease and wax paper, but Wax may work simplest on the daty to day just buffing it down isn't much of a problem. I'll still try the acrylics and see how they hold up.

Thanks!

Reply to
Tall Oak

Apparently the traditional rust-prevention remedy for the Japanese woodworker is crysanthemum oil. Never tried it myself though.

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

RE: Subject

I keep my table saw outside under a tarp.

Had been using Johnsons Paste wax on cast iron table saw bed.

Not the greatest protection.

Had melted a 1/2 pound of bees wax in a coffee can, then poured in about 4-6 oz of boiled linseed oil and about 4-6 oz of turps.

Worked great on a table I built from white oak.

Decided to try it on saw table.

Seems to do a better job than Johnsons.

If you are going to store saw for the winter, I'd first wax the saw table with something like my bees wax concoction above, then cover that with waxed paper.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

My day's in Vietnam taught me well about moisture. Unpacking spare parts for weapons, many WWII vintage. I was impressed that the grease and wax paper thing worked as well as it had. Grease (auto) as messy as it is, goes on easier and fills voids quickly, and wipes off easily with a little white gas. If I was to store something today, for years. I'd have to say a coat of molybendum, then grease and then wax paper.

When ready for business, I'll stick with the paste wax. It's something I have on hand. But I will certainly test topcote and paste/acrylic wax's.

Thanks!

Reply to
Tall Oak

You want to initially put down 2 heavy coats of TopCote and lighter ones periodically.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Tall Oak

I saw this product at the IWF in Atlanta and it looks pretty good.

I have been a TopCote guy for a while but TopCote will NOT remove rust.

This is go> Back in my old machinist tool and die days, we used molyb to keep all the

Reply to
Pat Barber