Project Motivation

Congratulations ... hope you're closer than I am. I joined the ranks this past June and still haven't got to hold the little rascal yet, although a ton of pixels fill up the hard drive. Long way from Houston to Sheffield, UK ... I'll get there yet.

Hope all goes well.

Reply to
Swingman

A good case can be made that one of the attributes of a good wooddorker is "patience".

For me, if it becomes an aggravation it's time to walk away for as long as it takes to keep the aggravation from feeding on itself ... it might be hours, days, or sometimes, weeks. You generally come back with a better attitude and some new ideas on solving the aggravation/problems.

I do have one 'cast in stone' rule that covers a lot of bases and helps with "motivation" .... only one project at a time and no projects started until the current one is finished, no exceptions.

Besides encouraging the patience and discipline to finish the current project, it allows you to turn down the neighbors, relatives and anyone else who _wants_ something from you.

Reply to
Swingman

Sometimes not. When I get really stuck I just power through it.

> I do have one 'cast in stone' rule that covers a lot of bases and helps > with

In order to finish box the way I wanted I had to build a router table. It's all one project.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

Thanks Swing, Still no grandson, maybe a false alarm. Yes, she lives only a couple of miles away. My lovely bride likes it tha way! I hope you get to the UK soon and have some quality "shop time" with the rascal. Dave

TeamCasa

[snip] I had a couple of projects going, one of which was some cabinet doors for the town clubhouse. Then there was the surgery and lemme tell ya that cranking up interest after that is tough. Happily one of my sons-in-law came up looking for some help/advice on a project he was doing. We spent a half day finishing that up and another couple hours over burgers and coke at the local cafe. I think I'm going to go finish the doors. :-) mahalo, ` jo4hn
Reply to
jo4hn

That's not a router table, that's a "jig" ... jigs don't count. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

This morning was satisfying like that.

Got up at the crack of dawn and hung the _last_ door on my "Texas Tansu" project

a 'flipper' door that I saved for last, having experienced the "flipper door aggravation" too many times in the past.

This one worked out puuurrrfectly! ... now I get to sit back and just _look_ at a project that's all but finished before I have to take off all the already hung doors and spray them with shellac while the weathers good ... but that's the easy part.

Reply to
Swingman

"Todd Fatheree" wrote in news:B4-dnYIMTa5xN8TenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

They won't be. Get started anyway.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

You're right! And the fence for the router table is also a jig. I forgot about the two custom sleds I made for the box, too.

Next time my wife sees me programming 3d graphics (to help design the CAM unit I want to build) and asks what I'm doing, I'll just say, "I'm working on that box."

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence