Problems Jointing

I have a 6ft jet jointer and have begun working with it. I've been researching and reading about how to do this properly and I'm still having challenges.

What seems to happen to me, no matter what board I use or how much I cut off on each pass is that it cuts the first couple inches of the board and then pretty much skips the remainder of the board. This seems to happen regardless of where I put pressure on the board. Generally I follow the guidline of pushing the board over the cutter and then apply the pressure to the outfeed of the table, all I end up doing is creating thinner ends that a straight line cut across the entire board.

I also have checked that everything is level, etc.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Reply to
bigt

try lowering the outfeed table. or is it raise the outfeed table? check to be sure the tables are coplaner.

skeez

Reply to
skeez

I agree with the co-planer issue. Sound like your outfeed table is sloping uphill. If it's not that then it is definitely something else :)

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas

Either your outfeed table is dipping down at the end (not parallel to the infeed) or else it's too high relative to the blades.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

The outfeed table should be sightly lower than the infeed by 1/32 - 1/16". To get a straight edge and not tapered you should be keeping the board up against the fence and not pushing down over the knives. Let the jointer straighten the edge by keeping the board against the fence.

Tim

Reply to
tdup2

Sorry about the top-post, but...

WHAT???

The outfeed LOWER than the infeed?

No...the outfeed needs to be at the SAME height as the blades and the INfeed lower than the blades

Reply to
The Davenport's

You stated that exactly backward. Proper setup has the knives about 0.002" above the outfeed table. The infeed table is then lowered below the outfeed table by the depth of the cut you wish to take.

Also incorrect. It's necessary to keep some pressure down against the table; that's your reference surface, after all, and you need to keep the wood in close contact with it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Reply to
Leon

Exactly! The outfeed table is ALWAYS lower to the infeed table by the depth of the cut.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

NOT! ;~)

The out feed should be the same height as the knives and the in feed should be lowered to the desired depth of cut.

Reply to
Leon

You misspelled "higher".

Reply to
Doug Miller

We all know that you just typed that backwards, Dave. Go get yourself another cup of coffee! :)

Hazards of wrec'ing in the early morning ...do it all the time.

Reply to
Swingman

The spell checker probably did it to him... don't you just hate it when that happens?

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Oh, shit; lysdexia strikes again.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

LOL, I know! Been there and now sell the t-shirt.

Reply to
Leon