Problem testing finish

Reply to
nospambob

Hello. I recently bought a sewing machine in a cabinet with top I will have to refinish. (The machine is probably from the 1950s). Being in the middle of a some refinishing, I decided to test the finish to determine what I am working with. I found a "good" spot and dabbed some lacquer finish. Nothing happened. So I dabbed some denatured alcohol in another spot. Gummed up then turned really white. Thinking that maybe I had accidently put it on the same spot or on a spot that had some moisture. I did it again. Same result. Then this morning, just to be sure, I tried in another spot.

I have done web searches and can find plenty on white water rings, but nothing on denatured alcohol causing the suface to go white.

Any ideas what could be up>

Thanks Amy

Reply to
mythak

sounds like shellac.

Reply to
bridger

I vote for it being shellac.

David

mythak wrote:

Reply to
David

Reply to
GerryG

Whoops! I meant to write lacquer "thinner" Sorry.

On the alcohol, how long did it

Let me go test again. It takes about 30 seconds after a dab before it starts to whiten.

Hmmmm. I wonder what was under it? How should I proceed? Do I have to strip all the way down?

Thanks mythak

Reply to
mythak

Hmmm...maybe shellac and oil mixture. Check with a pencil if the surface is hard or has a little give. If hard and you're just concerned with the surface, may be able to coat with shellac, first coat very-very light to seal, then heavier, followed by whatever. If soft or wood surface needs repair, you'll need to strip.

I now seem to remember seeing this many years ago on something old, but I've aged as much since then, so the memory's failing.

As was previously menti>> Was that lacquer "finish" or lacquer thinner?

Reply to
GerryG

Hi. I am going on vacation tomorrow pending weather, but hope to work on this project when I get home. If there is a follow-up question to my questions, I won't be able to answer it until then.

I look forward to hearing any advice you guys have. In the past year I have tried to do some restoring/refinishing and am quickly learning that good advice save much frustration. I have a number of sewing machine cabinets that I seem to be aquiring and would like to fix them up without doing a complete refinish job. Thanks Amy

Reply to
mythak

Good ideas. I have a mixture of shellac, oil and denatured alcohol that I might try. I suppose that if it doesn't work I can always remove it.

I will also try the list you suggested.

THank yo9u so mcuh for your ideas

Amy

Reply to