Pressure treated wood

We are considering installing a kid playset with tree house and have seen one in a local warehouse club that we like.

The brochure for that playset states that it is dade almost entirely of Cedar, Cypress, or Redwood (Non - Pressure Treated).

With pine that is used for decking, my understanding is that the pine wood must be pressure treated for longevity.

Does Cedar, Cypress, Redwood also need to be pressure treated for longevity?

Thanks Bob

Reply to
bagarow

No. All three are naturally rot-resistant.

Doug Miller

Mostly experienced with redwood, we do a lot of fences and decks in Calif. with it..

It's extremely rot resistant, but grays or lightens badly if not treated.. we use a preserving oil (preserve-a-wood) that has a slight tint to it, every other year for fences and once a year for decks that get walked on.. a well maintained redwood deck should last for at least 10 years, usually 20 in our (mild) weather..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

All 3 ARE rot-RESISTANT but not rot-proof They will all outlast untreated/non-finished pine if they are left untreated but all should be sealed with some type of oil/stain/presertitive whenever they need it, to ensure a longer life span and the color your looking to maintain. How often you'd have to "treat" the wood will depend on the wood you chose and the climate you live in.

Personally, I usually use northern white pine for my painted outdoor furniture but like teak or white oak for my non-painted outside furniture. I prefer the look of them and both are harder woods but cost more than the above 3--oh well :) They really don't take me any more effort to maintain them than their "softer" counterparts and hold up (for me atleast) better in our western New York (snow) weather

Reply to
WhiteBuffalo32

No. But as with any wood, some kind of UV protection and occasional cleaning is better than nothing.

Reply to
Phisherman