Powermatic decision

If you had a choice, between a powermatic 66 and a pm2000, which would you choose and why.

I may be forced (?!?!?!) into such a decision. (yeah, that's a bit of a drive-by).

jc

Reply to
Joe

Both are good saws, the 66 is legendary. The 2000 has more convenience and safety features. For a hobby or at home use I seriously doubt that you will ever benefit more from the robust build of the 66 over the 2000. If the saw is run all day long every day for years on end the 66 would probably out last the 2000. I'd go the 2000.

Reply to
Leon

The PM66 because I'm familiar with it and for me, it's the best.

Reply to
Phisherman

Sorry to toss in other stuff, but... Your two picks and the extra two I'm about to mention all cut wood to identical accuracy.

I would (and did) choose a Canadian-built General 650 over an imported PM66, if I were buying new. I closely fingered, and brutally stewed for months over both saws before I made the decision. One of the things I liked about the General is how the factory assembles and shims the wings. Both saws are super beefy, but the 650 is still built in Quebec to a very high standard. Even though I'm not Canadian, I like those big Maple Leaf stickers on my saw.

I don't think you hear much about General, because apparently they only recently realized that a hobby market existed and therefore didn't advertise much. These folks are not the same General who make cheap steel rulers and plastic dial calipers.

Buying used, in identical condition, I'd probably take an old PM66 over an old 650, but it might be a coin toss or depend on minute details.

If features were my aim, I'd pick a Sawstop over a PM2000.

In fact, I might even choose the Sawstop over my 650 or PM66, if I were buying today, now that I've touched several examples of the Sawstop. Several local dealers carry the Sawstop, and it's a very nicely made tool that cuts just as accurately as the saws mentioned above, except flesh.

There are also days that I consider selling my 650 and buying a Sawstop. Oddly enough, if I were buying again, I might even go right-tilt, as I do far more dadoing and rabbetting than wide bevel ripping. Only once in the last five years have I bevel ripped something wide enough that would not have fit on the left side of the blade.

Good luck, I don't think any of them will be a wrong choice. It may even come down to which one your favorite local guy carries.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Tough one Joe. Are those your only options?

Reply to
Robatoy

I have never used a PM200 so I went to the Powermatic website to get information. Unless I missed it I couldn't find if the saw is left or right tilt. Do you know?

Reply to
Frank Drackman

I don't know for sure, but I don't think Powermatic has ever made anything but a left tilt saw.

Reply to
LRod

I've got the 66 and I love it. If someone was just giving away a

2000, I'd take it, it's got a lot of good features, but not enough to make me spend the money to replace my 66. You'll never regret either saw though, it comes down to money and personal preference.
Reply to
Brian Henderson

My PM66 was built in the USA. In fact, it was built in McMinnville, TN, the state where I live. Sadly, that plant has changed over the years. Today, I'm not sure where PM66s are built. The General 650 is a very fine machine too.

Reply to
Phisherman

I think it is a pretty hard decision now to not buy the Sawstop. They are fine saws and what is a finger worth? I'd pay that difference to get back the 3/16" bevel I trimmed off of my left pointing finger on a RAS... although it is pointier now.

One dealer I spoke with recently commented how the Sawstop rep told him about the tail of two high schools, one of which balked at the extra cost of a Sawstop and the poor kid who now lives without those few fingers. It can and does happen to anyone. In fact, more and continuing experience just equals more exposure to the risk.

BW

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

One dealer I spoke with recently commented how the Sawstop rep told him about the tail of two high schools, one of which balked at the extra cost of a Sawstop and the poor kid who now lives without those few fingers. It can and does happen to anyone. In fact, more and continuing experience just equals more exposure to the risk.

How true, I read an article about an avid woodworker/surgeon. He pretty much said that the more experienced the woodworker that he has repaired the more often the accident will happen. The new woodworkers are still a bit afraid of the tool and are more cautious.

Reply to
Leon

Where abouts in Tn, Phisherman? I moved from Fl to Chester County Tn about a year ago. Tom

Reply to
Tom Bunetta

Now between the Cumberland and Smokies, nice mild climate and a variety of beautiful hardwoods. Moved from L.A. in '89.

Reply to
Phisherman

Wait! You don't need to decide! Just get a PM2066!

Larry Kraus

We thought about east TN, but those beautiful mountains cause more swings in the weather... I'm born in Miami and snow is new to me. There's less snow and ice on the SW corner (or so we're told.) Tom

Reply to
Tom Bunetta

But the summer humid-duh-deedew is a killer... :(

(25 yrs in Oak Ridge area...)

--

Reply to
dpb

Compared to 3 miles from the Gulf in Florida, or earlier 7 miles from the Atlantic? Not! Tom

Reply to
Tom Bunetta

As compared to those, yes--they're at least within some reach of the coastal air movements, Memphis ain't got nuthin' goin' for it in summer...

--

Reply to
dpb

BBQ and jazz have got to count for something.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

:)