Power tools in Europe (long)

hmm this is not what i was informed, unless i suppose you import it yourself. I was told that it was impossible to import it, but this was by a tool company, so perhaps they had their motives. The point is moot because I was shopping for a commercial environment and had to obey directives, the Sedgewick being the only non sticky out gimmick infested table saw I could find that had the qualities that were needed. Plus the only TS that came with an over 4ft blade to fence as a solid, factory fitted standard.

the irony of the dado kit situation is that they are sold here, but specify that they are NOT for use with machines with brakes, yet you can't buy an unbraked machine.

BTW Noel, that Fein cordless is the D'sBs ;-) .. ta for the assistance in the choice

Simon

Reply to
Simon

Hi Simon,

Didn't recognize you there. Glad you got the Fein and that all is well. Ref tablesaws I don't think the method of purchase is important but the end user situation. In a commercial workshop/factory etc everything has to be CE approved whereas what one uses in the privacy of one's home/garage is not an issue. Agree with you on the Dado - what a load of boll****.

Rgds

Noel

noel dot hegan at virgin dot net

Reply to
Noel Hegan

Simon (or anyone else)

Can you explain the reasoning behind that limitation -- that dado blades are not for use on machines with brakes? I have an Inca TS with the ability to take a dado blade and I'm thinking of adding an electronic brake the saw. If there is a scientific reason why I shouldn't do this, I'd be interested in knowing. But if this limitation is political, then I might persue adding the brake anways.

Reply to
Robert MacKinnon

Hi Rob, Here it is to the best of my current knowledge. As I understand it, you've got 2 criteria here. A dado cutter on a table saw = blind cut, which contravenes HSE directives so cannot be used in a workshop where you are responsible for others safety, i.e commercial or industrial shops, Unless the machine has an alternative guard and is designed for this process. In other words, you can't do what Norm does, legally, in a woodworking shop in the UK. I don't have the time to look it up, or investigate, but you're welcome to.

2nd thing that comes to mind is probably more important from your safety point of view is that the dado puts added stresses on the braking system and the spindle & collar when the brake is applied. Also, Dado cutters have free moving chipping knives that would not be affected by the brake and would continue to spin after the rest of the blade has stopped, once again causing unwanted stresses on the saw, which could lead to failure of the spindle nut, or spindle and could damage the blade, potentially leading metal missiles.

Reply to
Simon