Portable Toolkit

I need something lightweight and portable for basic household projects. So far on this trip I've needed a #2 Phillips screwdriver, wrench (of unknown size, adjustable would be great) and pocket knife. I've looked at Swiss Army knives and Leathermen and also thought about putting together a small kit myself, but am not really sure which way to go.

A small autoranging multimeter would be helpful, too. I wanted to check a fuse and didn't have anything handy to do it with.

Size and weight are big factors, it's going to go in checked luggage when we visit my wife's family.

Any suggestions on what to look at?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

There are several lite weight multi meters at places like Harbor freight.

I would get a pair of roto grip pliers, I got mine a a Christmas present and now they have become essential. Mine are similar to this

They may fulfill you need for wrenches of several sizes.

While they sound useful, the folding tools are a literally a pain. I don't know how many time I have pinched the skin on my hands in the folding joints.

I would also consider a multi screw driver with several bits that can be stored in the screwdriver itself. There are several types.

search "interchangeable screwdriver"

Lastly, do you really want to try to fly during this time with all of the cancellations? About 10 years ago we lived in Indianapolis, and my daughters lived in Raleigh. At that time I could drive between the two cities as fast as I could fly, including the drive to and from the airports, and, the airport waiting and hassle.

Reply to
knuttle

Good luck. My "car" toolkit - of just a few necessities - has grown into a toolbox + , over the years. ... and I still find myself wanting something at times .. this is likewise for family visits where they either don't own / can't find the tools needed. I can't really imagine an airplane friendly kit. I was going to suggest the multi screwdriver that Lee Valley once sold - no longer apparently - very similar to this Klein but not ratcheting :

: good bit storage & lots of bits <double-ended good quality bits>

: long shank < I hate those fat short-shank multis >

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Start out by writing down what you want to be able to do, then figure out what you need in order to do it. Then look for solutions.

Don't get something fancy enough that the TSA boys are likely to pilfer it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Alternatively, take a look at these:

They're intended to be used as flare-nut wrenches and they really work, although they can crush a brass nut. I don't recall who turned me on to them but they'll take off fittings that a Snap-On flare nut wrench of the correct size just rounds off.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I wonder if a multimeter would attract attention - who travels with a multimeter ! ? :-) John T.

Reply to
hubops

Does the owner not have any tools? Will you make this trip often?

Wait until you get there and then buy what you need and leave it there. A belated Christmas gift.

or...

Once you have your list, order tools online and have it shipped there.

BTW Milwaukee makes a great 13-in-1 driver tool. I have 3 of them.

Straight bits, Phillips bits, Robertson bits and nut drivers. This alone would make a great gift.

DerbyDad03

I don't think it would attract attention per se, but a nice Fluke is more likely to mysteriously disappear than a cheap Harbor Freight.

Reply to
J. Clarke

snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca on Sun, 02 Jan 2022 11:56:59 -0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Yes, whatever you get, ship it FedEx. 1) No hassles with the TSA Security Theatre. 2) possibility exists that it might get there before you. 3) one less thing to lug through airports.

Yes, you will wind up possibly spending more to ship it, but ...

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Has quite the "situation" back in '76 when a friend and his fiance wanted to go th the Tulsa Street Rod Nationals in his chocked channeled 396 Model A coupe and had no way to carry any luggage. He was trying to figure out how to put a trailer hitch on the old "A Bone" when I suggested I go along to Tulsa with the '57 Fargo and his fiance's friend decided to go along with me in the truck. I had my complete mechanic's tool kit under the tanneau cover along with the camping equipment and other luggage. The US border agents asked where I was going, and what Iwas planning on doing -- and WHY I had a quarter ton of tools in the truck!!!! Was I planning on working while in the states??? I pointed to the model A in the next lane and said "would YOU drive a 48 year old car and a 19 year old truck to oklahoma without tools??? and that I'd be just THRILLED if I never had to unlock the box. I was able to register them so there would be no question of "importation" bringing them back home

When on a "service call" to the east coast, on a domestic flight, I was able to hand my "tool bag" to the pilot before boarding the plane and pick it up from him at my destination. Goof thing I had not put them in checked luggage because I didn't see THAT for 3 days - - - (and 2 further stops)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Friends would never be without a Leatherman. I haven't found them to be very useful. All of the "Swiss Army knife sorts of tools are mediocre to bad at all tasks. They're awkward to use and none have hardened tools. Together, this is just asking for cam-out and stripped driver AND screw.

A non-contact circuit tester? They're small.

Yeah, don't make them look like they're worth any money. Stuff seems to climb out of luggage and run away.

Whatever, I'd include a real #2 Phillips screwdriver and perhaps a

3/16" or 1/4" flat blade. Short but not stubby.
Reply to
krw

That was a different time. Today the only way that would work would be if you knew the pilot before hand and could arrange it outside the security area.

I remember buying a propeller blade a first class ticket on Delta and riding in the seat next to it. Can't do that anymore either.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I got a Leatherman almost 40 years ago. I do not recall ever using it. It was a gift.

IMHO these tools are more of a novelty, a conversation piece. They seldom are small enough or large enough to be of any use. Yes there will be easy spots to get to that have nothing in the way but quite often you need to reach a spot in a narrow area or need more leverage than the tool would afford you.

I would rather sacrifice room for the right tools that are more likely to work in tricky situations.

Reply to
Leon

Ditto. I kept mine with the camping gear and even then ~ never used it. I'd go to my car-tool-box or pocket knife. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I have a multitool in my urban bugout bag, which is for emergency use only. (Think having to leave home for a week due to fire, earthquake etc.} If things go right, I will never use it.

Reply to
Just Wondering

There are two multitools I have used that work well.

One is the leatherman Micra, which does a dandy job of trimming fingernails, tightening eyeglasses, and opening envelopes. It used to live on my key chain until I started working somewhere with an absolutely no knives policy (I asked security if it was OK and while they were fine with it, HR said NO NO NO in anguished tones and started an investigation to find out why anybody would even _think_ about possessing such a horrible weapon).

The other is the Swiss Army Cybertool, which I used to carry when I was fixing computers for a living--it has every tool I needed day to day including the big and little Torx drivers. I kept a Jensen toolkit in the car but only brought it in on the rare occasions that I encountered something the Cybertool wouldn't do (usually crimp network cables) or when it was necessary to "look professional".

Reply to
J. Clarke

I keep a Leatherman (no idea of the model, received as gifts around the holidays over the years) in each of our vehicles, just in case... So far, been used to cut twine/lashing for roof rack mounted purchases from big box stores and Christmas trees... As stated by others, I can only hope that these are the only times that I will truly need them...

Reply to
Brian Welch

I bet they wouldn't like my key "ring".

I've worried about what the TSA would say.

Reply to
krw

Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> on Mon, 3 Jan 2022 10:14:42 -0600 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

I've got two. Got the first one working in a hardware store. Flip it open one handed (eventually it got used enough) and I had "tool" for a quick "action".

If your choice is a pair of pliers / screwdriver, what ever in hand, or waiting until you can get it back to the shop where you have the Right Tool - it is a personal decision. Having a 3" saw blade handy when I got stuck behind something and needed to cut something loose, made it worth it.

As I have said, I would not want to do a lot with one of these. At the same time, it is remarkable how much I have done with mine. Mine goes with me on the belt, even to church under the suit.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I forget whether it was Trethewey or Silva, but on one of the ATOH shows they were talking about their favorite tools. Whoever it was said they have given dozens of their Leatherman tools to TSA since they put them their belt by habit.

Could be BS...

Reply to
DerbyDad03