Poly question

Can I apply a water based poly over Watco? I want a clear coat and oil based poly tends to run to amber.

Reply to
Gramps' shop

Water over poly? One way to make sure you have no interaction is to put a coat of Ultra Blond shellac on the Watco, then top with your water based poly.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Yes if you wait until the Watco is totally cured. At least a month to be safe.

Reply to
dadiOH

That depends on how much yellowing is too much. I haven't found a shellac yet that doesn't leave at least a slight yellowing, although with some it's very slight. Much less than an oil based finish. If that's acceptable, you're fine to use it. Just be sure it's de-waxed.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

IIRC Watco is oil based?

You "may" already have all the yellow you are going to get.

Reply to
Leon

ased poly tends to run to amber.

I've had limited success in this instance by sticking with the Oil-- but us ing General Finish's Wipe-on Poly instead of a full poly. Especially sinc e the wood already has protection from the Watco, you may be satisfied wit h a lighter-durability clear coat.

This is not my usual technique, only when I REALLY want to limit the yellow ing and still prefer the oil for one reason or another. (Oh, who am I kiddi ng...I always prefer the oil, for all the known reasons!)

Hope that helps.

Reply to
Steve