Poll, To stain or not to stain?

As a hobbyist woodworker, I'm still learning how to finish. I don't stain cherry unless it's a gift and the giftee would like it to match something else and then it's dye on top of sealer. I always stain pine. I sometimes stain oak. So I guess it would depend on the wood.

Chris Corbett

Reply to
chrisacorbett

HUh?

Oak does not have a tight or quiet grain. And I do not stain any other wood.

Reply to
Leon

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:10:21 GMT, max calmly ranted:

See my mean remarks from earlier today. It WILL unblotch it, right? ;)

I was a varnish man in my yout, then I found Watco Natural, then Waterlox. It combines all the goodness of linseed oil, varnish, and tung oil. Ten times better than that poly crap. I'll give you 20:1 that all the guys who say they stain also use poly. "Cuz Blob Villa told me to!"

Goodonya, Mate. Try Waterlox.

Like the plague.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My point exactly!

You tell them to take a hike?

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

That's Jaques. I'm surprised he didn't say something. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 01:16:10 GMT, Ba r r y calmly ranted:

A friend I used to work with had both CTS surgeries done at once. She had to have her husband wipe her every time she went to the bathroom for nearly 2 months. I'll bet he was glad when those casts came off.

Good luck on your results.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 07:49:57 -0500, Joe Gorman calmly ranted:

I was working through the aneurism, thanks. And thanks for reminding Silvie that my name is C-less. If I had a nickel for every time someone misspelled my name, even AFTER I spell it for them on the phone...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Probably a good thing you don't. Doesn't that fault line run somewhere near you? Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

nope Norm :))

I like staining simply because I like they way it looks, little darker, I may get flamed for this but I like minwax natural dosn't change the color a lot, just a enough I've done a number of wax finishes, they look great, but they don't hold up to much use

I've read about doing a wax over poly, I think I'm going to give that a try next

Reply to
Richard Clements

Reply to
Richard Clements

Given the meaning of "stain": From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:

Stain \Stain\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. {Stained}; p. pr. & vb. n. {Staining}.] [Abbrev. fr. distain.] 1. To discolor by the application of foreign matter; to make foul; to spot; as, to stain the hand with dye; armor stained with blood.

  1. To color, as wood, glass, paper, cloth, or the like, by processess affecting, chemically or otherwise, the material itself; to tinge with a color or colors combining with, or penetrating, the substance; to dye; as, to stain wood with acids, colored washes, paint rubbed in, etc.; to stain glass.
  2. To spot with guilt or infamy; to bring reproach on; to blot; to soil; to tarnish.

Of honor void, Of innocence, of faith, of purity, Our wonted ornaments now soiled and stained. --Milton.

  1. To cause to seem inferior or soiled by comparison.

She stains the ripest virgins of her age. --Beau. & Fl.

That did all other beasts in beauty stain. --Spenser.

Three of the four definitions say clearly that staining is a bad thing, so you have to be lucky if you want you work to be improved by stainging ... ;-)

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

My guy refuses to do that. Even if for some sick reason I wanted to do both, he wouldn't. I ride mountain bikes with a guy who broke both elbows in a crash. His girlfriend wiped him for a few months. When he healed, she dumped him.

Thanks!

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:59:39 -0500, Joe Gorman calmly ranted:

That was when I lived in LoCal. The San Andreas Fault ran about 30 miles inland from me. But I now live in the Cascade Range, so I have new faults all around me. Hey, Southern California earthquakes were something to live for just to watch people FREAK when they hit. I was always happy to get the free E-ticket ride, too.

Gunner will have to take over for me as Fault Watch Captain. I believe he's close, too.

P.S: What difference would a fault line make to a nickel fortune? It'd be turned into paper in an instant by the banks.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Never understood the flaming over stains- I like Minwax Natural, too. I've wrecked a few nice projects using other stains, so I'm a little gunshy about the darker ones, but the natural is really nice, IMO.

I like to wax over oil or the abovementioned Minwax.

I'm not saying that's a "bad" idea, but what is the point of that?

I just avoid the ones I've botched up. Usually, I just try to get the right wood, and use a clear or nearly clear finish these days, but back when I could only afford cheap POS wood, stain was sometimes necessary.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus