Plywood storage?

Anyone have any ideals? It will be stationary in my shop, and I wanted to have different "slots" to separate different types and thickness.

Thanks

Reply to
Kevin Baker

I built a swing away bin just for ply sheets. It was made from one sheet of ply wood cut into two triangles, two 2x6, two hinges and one rubber wheel. This storage keeps the ply up off the floor, yet allows easy selection/loading/unloading. This uses very little space, but it is ideal to store ply flat if you have the space.

Reply to
Phisherman

I built a roll around sheet storage that I've had some luck with. My shop is small so I wanted something that would take up little space. It's a lot like the previous poster described. One feature I really like is that I created some rollers in the bottom that the plywood rides on that make it EZ to get single sheets in and out. You might consider something similar. Once you start filling up whatever you build, the trick is getting a sheet out easily without having to unload half the rack. The major downside to my design (that you wont encounter if stationary) is that once loaded up it is very heavy and doesn't like to roll very well. Have a look at some photos on my site. What ever you do come up with let us know how it works out. Mark

Mark

I built a floor to ceiling rack that occupies a foot print large enough to handle 49 x 97 sheets placed horizontally. I have about 12 separate compartments for sheet goods. The supports are 2x3s at each of four corners and 4 additional 2x3s, 2 spaced equally along each side between each corner for a total of 4 supports along each 97" side.

Starting at floor level I placed a short 2x3 piece (6 inches long vertically) against each long vertical support 2x3. Above each pair of these 6" pieces a 2x3 is placed that runs the width of the rack. There are four of these cross pieces for each compartment. I then repeated the process with 6" 2x3s oriented vertically resting on the cross members and running along the initial long vertical support members. On top of these are four more cross members. This sequence repeats for the height of the rack.

The objective is to have the load carried by vertical 2x3s in compression. The purpose of the long vertical members is to hold the short load bearing 2x3 pieces in place.

I placed a sheet of Masonite at each level to facilitate sliding sheets in but it is not absolutely needed.

I've been using this rack for almost 10 years with no problem but one. I wish I had made it wide enough to accommodate 60" sheets of Baltic birch.

Phil

Kev> Anyone have any ideals? It will be stationary in my shop, and I wanted to

Reply to
Phil

Phil,

I need to build one of these myself in the next few months. Any chances of getting a picture of yours?

Thanks...

-BAT

Reply to
Brett A. Thomas

I'll have some time in the next week or so and try to get some photos.

Phil

Brett A. Thomas wrote:

Reply to
Phil