Plywood armor plating

Isn't it obvious? All his arguments are as powerful as a popcorn fart.

Reply to
George

Well, sure, but I figured I'd point out that we're on to him. Should I have not done that?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Careful with the attributions, please. I did *not* write this:

I wrote *this*:

I guess that depends on (a) whether you're talking about morals or educational practices[*], and (b) what you mean by "orthodox" when referring to the latter. For example, it was customary -- "orthodox" if you will -- for many, many years to teach reading by phonics, and arithmetic by rote memorization of addition and multiplication tables. It's hardly a coincidence that the decline in reading and mathematical skills in the United States in the last three or four decades followed directly on the heels of the abandonment of these practices. Which is the "orthodoxy" -- phonics, or "look-say" reading? Sadly, it's probably the latter now, although it didn't used to be that way.

It depends on the private school, too. Some have bought into the latest psychobabble fads even more deeply than the public schools; others, more concerned with educating students than with making their parents feel warm and fuzzy, hew toward more traditional methods of education and discipline.

[ * We pulled our son out of public school after they announced their "value neutral" curriculum for the coming year. (That wasn't the only reason, but it sure played a part.) I *want* my kids to be taught in school that it's *wrong* to cheat, to steal, to lie. We teach them that at home, of course -- but I want the school to reinforce that, not undermine it by telling them that there is no such thing as right or wrong. Say what you will about Catholic schools; one thing is certain: nobody can accuse the Catholic Church of ever having taught "value neutral" anything. ]

Doug Miller

"My kind" (whatever slimy thought that represents) has never implied that you ever went to bed with the guy, only that you think like him.

Reply to
GregP

What rankles *me* about it is something even more basic: It's a fscking Ponzi scheme, and like any Ponzi scheme, it's mathematically impossible to sustain. If anybody else besides the federal government was running it, they would've thrown his arse in jail fifty years ago.

Doug Miller

That's my point, Greg. "your kind" in this context, is "people who assume and imply something not justified based on an observation". I haven't listened to Rush in years, and didn't particularly care for the guy ever. Just because we (rightly) point out that Michael Moore is a lying sack of shit, doesn't mean we _do_ like Rush, or Hannity, or whoever the heck else you disagree with.

Got it now?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Well, Georgie, Dave created a popcorn fart strawman and you in your infinite perspicacity took it up and ran with it. So where did the comparison come down to Michael and the junkie ?

Reply to
GregP

I agree: the president is our president, like him or not.

After Carter, before George I. Oh, you mean I didn't spell his name correctly. Why didn't you just say so ?

The most visible changes to me is that their eyes look much older and their faces become more lined.

Reply to
GregP

Can you answer my question, Greg? Why do you assume that just because I think Moore is a liar, that I would then like Rush?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

On this we agree.

I thought maybe you had made a different mistake.

OK. To me it's the hair, to you it's the eyes.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Another example of the "tolerant, open-minded" left, eh? Someone who becomes addicted to pain killers as a result of having them prescribed for severe backpain is somewhat different than someone who was out searching for the next and best high, don't ya think? But, since this gives you something to beat on and impugn with, impugn away. Says more about the shallowness of the so-called open-mindedness of the left than anything else.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety

Army General Richard Cody

Mark & Juanita

: Another example of the "tolerant, open-minded" left, eh? Someone who : becomes addicted to pain killers as a result of having them prescribed for : severe backpain

He bought *thousands* of pills, ilegally, over a few months. This clearly exceeds some sort of accidental addiction, don't you think?

Or do you forgive any high-seeking person so long as he spouts the political views you adhere to?

-- Andy Barss

is somewhat different than someone who was out searching : for the next and best high, don't ya think? But, since this gives you : something to beat on and impugn with, impugn away. Says more about the : shallowness of the so-called open-mindedness of the left than anything : else.

: +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ : : The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety

: Army General Richard Cody : : +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Reply to
Andrew Barss

You know Andy, for a college professor and scientist, you make some pretty obtuse arguments. Once someone has become addicted to a substance, the behavior of that person in feeding that addiction is no longer logical nor rational. The facts are that strong pain killers were prescribed for his back pain, he became addicted to those pain killers and the effects they produced, he continued to crave those pain killers while addicted. This is worlds apart from someone who goes out partying looking for new and better highs, i.e. deliberately seeking out the drugs for the effect. The end result is no different, the causative agent is.

Given the circumstances of the addiction, it would seem that forgiveness and treatment are reasonable regardless of the political leanings of the addict.

Or are you suggesting that because of the political leanings of the person, the punishments should be much harsher than for those with whom you agree?

Mark & Juanita

Mark & Juanita responds:

Uh, well, not much, since we don't really know what put that junkie on his trip to find another high...be we do know Limbaugh used his connections and money to find another high, something the street junkie couldn't do.

Your comment says more about your lack of knowledge of human nature than anything else.

And I think I've done this before.

Bye.

Charlie Self "I think we agree, the past is over." George W. Bush

Reply to
Charlie Self

Nate Perkins notes:

I live in Falwell country, so I get to hear the good stories.

It is rumored that as a Marine lieutenant, Robertson was on a ship to Korea, but got daddy's political help to get diverted to Japan. I guess at that age he didn't trust in the Lord to keep him bulletproof.

You really wouldn't want to hear the legends of how Reverend Falwell got his fiscal legs under him in this area, but it does involve a lot of conning old folks out of property and money in a slick enough manner that no prosecutions were possible.

Charlie Self "I think we agree, the past is over." George W. Bush

Reply to
Charlie Self

You are talking about Rush, I presume, the Champion of the Downtrodden, the Man Who Empathizes With the Weak, the Frail, and Those Whom Life Has Led Astray ???? If that junkie showed *any* signs of humanity towards others who have made similar "mistakes" (and had their housekeeper do the dirty work for them because they didn't have the guts to do it for themselves), I might agree with you.

Reply to
GregP

-snip-

Finally! We agree on something. Good commentary.

REnata

Reply to
Renata

What's wrong with investing the trust fund invest the money in the stock market (or some other vehicle) rather than continually loaning it to the government?

This loaning is apparently a good part of the problem coming up since the fed won't be able to hide the true budget deficit as easily, once SS stops taking in more than it pays out.

Renata

Reply to
Renata

You hit the nail on the head! I do believe we have found common ground. Now that you understand the problem and solution, spread the word and push for reform. Much better to pay back the trust fund with corporate profits rather than government profits AKA taxes. Private investments as you suggest also do not add trillions to the national debt as do government securities. In addition, we would know the true amount of government revenue as the SS surplus would not be counted as general revenue but rather would be buying real assets rather than debt.

- Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Just curious: do the ellipses in the transcript indicate pauses in Falwell's speaking, or places where some of his words have been omitted?

Doug Miller