Plugs for pocket holes made with Kreg jig

I just had my first occasion to make a set of glass doors using pocket hole joinery to hold the frame pieces. They came out great. I bought some pocket hole plugs but was surprised to see how much the were above the surface of the frame (or as Norm would say -- "proud" of the surface). They stick up about 1/8" Clearly I can sand them down but it will take a lot of sanding as they are oak. Has anyone used these plugs and have you had the same experience?

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Yep...... They sand down easy..

Reply to
RTH

That depends on how deep you drill the hole, and the shape of the screw head. They probably make them a little long in case you need to drill the hole deeper.

Another option is to make your own - cut a 3/8 dowel off at 45 degrees, tap it in, and use a flush cutting saw to trim it (like you would any other dowel plug).

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Actually, they sand down pretty quickly. Cutting them off with a flush trim saw after the glue dries, then sanding, is even quicker.

Reply to
Swingman

hit 'em with a flush cutting saw, then sand. Wouldn't you be bummed if they made them too shallow! :)

dave

Dick Snyder wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Start with a plane, finish with sandpaper or a scraper. The plane will knock them down in no time.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Thanks everybody for your quick suggestions regarding the flush cutting saw. This group is the greatest!

Reply to
Dick Snyder

A sharp chisel or a router takes them down quick. I put two feet on my router to straddle the plugs or dowels in a dowel joint, and cut them off as slick as can be.

Reply to
David Chamberlain

That really is a great tip. I hadn't thought of that but recall now, seeing it in a book somewhere to cut dowels flush. I guess you could set the bit proud of the surface by 1/64" or so.

Only one problem - on an inside corner, you can't get the router in there to cut them. Maybe a laminate trimmer with an offset base?

Jon E

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

Or a flush cut saw? It's a DOWEL, not a 4x4!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Well, yeah, but the topic was router. With a flush cut saw, you have to sand, quite a bit. If you use a router and sharp bit, and a chisel to take off the last hair, you don't need to sand. Sanding sucks.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

I usually do the trimming before I put the back on. Also, I make the first hole about 2" from the edge so I do'nt have any trouble getting at the plug. If you have a little money and you want what looks like the easiest way to trim:

It is designed for doing solid wood edging but it should work well for dowels and plugs.

Reply to
David Chamberlain