permit inspections

Looks, from the headers, like either washington state or minnesota.

$ host 24.18.65.40

40.65.18.24.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer c-24-18-65-40.hsd1.mn.comcast.net. 40.65.18.24.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer c-24-18-65-40.hsd1.wa.comcast.net.

Sure looks like a comcast misconfiguration somewhere.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

whois 24.18.65.40

Checking IP: 24.18.65.40... Name: c-24-18-65-40.hsd1.wa.comcast.net IP: 24.18.65.40 Aliases: c-24-18-65-40.hsd1.mn.comcast.net Domain: comcast.net

Reply to
Morris Dovey

c-24-18-65-40.hsd1.mn.comcast.net.

c-24-18-65-40.hsd1.wa.comcast.net.

Sure, but it doesn't make sense to have two geographical locations using the same routable IP pool address(es); most likely a misconfiguration.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I cannot imagine anyone actually applying for one in a case like that.

If a permit was actually requested for every job in the country that needed one, it would create major problems in staffing the inspector's offices and the big home improvement stores would be going out of business.

I'm all for following building codes but no way should a permit be needed for such minor repairs.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

So how is progress on the new shop Bridger?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I think it really depends upon the area of the country and the jurisdiction in which you live. Some areas, the permitting process and inspections are little more than tax collection and a cursory verification you didn't do anything overtly stupid (like try to wire with extension cord wire,etc). Other areas of the country and various municipalities are much more nanny-state and intrusive, requiring a permit to so much as pick up a hammer.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

With the influx of new people, it won't last much longer, but in Bedford and many other counties you do not need a permit for an agricultural building. The theory is that only animals are endangered by poor wiring, etc., I guess. I did get a permit when I built my shop, but the inspection wasn't onerous. Do you have to actually BE a farm? Nah. Buy three chickens and raise 'em for meat, go out of the farm bidness when you kill the fryers and eat 'em. Actually, a friend did that with rabbits on his one acre "farm." I know another guy who has about 60 acres, "raised" horses and dogs for years, and got some pretty fair tax write-offs in the process, while building everything from barns and hay sheds to a car port for his house. He dealt just enough horses to make a profit every third year, too.

Reply to
Charlie Self

"Technically a permit is required" can be intended to mean a couple of things. Without posting what the fellow said in full, it's hard to believe he's really being difficult.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Well I don't want to get too far into this, I've certainly got what I needed and regardless of how I feel about my county's permit system it doesn't change how I'll interact with the inspector. I don't fault the inspector for local regulations. He/she just enforces them - the commissioners are the ones who write them.

But with regards to what you said, the inspectors and the county should be following the law no ifs ands or buts. If the laws are ambiguous then they need to be rewritten or interpreted once and followed per that interpretation. By ignoring laws when they get silly/inconvienent/unnecessary you open the door to all sorts of corruption and poor regulatory practices. However by forcing people to follow stupid laws such laws are brought to light and CHANGED so that they are no longer stupid.

To me the permit system is deeply flawed in that the policies are not clearly documented, not friendly to the layman, and subject to far too much interpretation by the inspectors.

Reply to
Eigenvector

That may be so, but it's true of most other areas of law as well. The only way it's going to change is to start over from scratch, and that's not going to happen.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"Eigenvector" wrote

You pretty well hit the nail on the head. But, it's their supposed knowledge of the building codes that gives the inspector his power over you. And, since no one is perfect, an inspector's erroneous code "interpretation" can often come into play and cause you grief.

Can't tell you how many times I've had an inspector fail an electrical final for having an overhead recessed can in/close to a shower area, only to have to point out to him that his interpretation of the code failed to account for the height of the ceiling, which he had not bothered to measure.

IOW, knowledge can indeed, be power (although in that event he's just as likely to fail you somewhere else in retaliation). :)

The point being is that the building inspection process is a "game", and like any other it behooves both participants to learn the rules and study how to play it.

Reply to
Swingman

I disagree.

I live in a village of maybe 2000 residents un upstate NY. I think the Mayor get's paid $2500/year and each trustee gets $1000. These guys understandably rubber stamp some generic pre-existing code. It would be impractical to do otherwise.

The current building instector would not let me build my glorified garden shed on 24" a mortered stone wall because we are in "an earthquake zone". To pacify him, I had to embed steel pedistals in the corners.

The irony is that my 150 year old home is made of brick (not veneer) upon a mortered stone foundation. If we have an earthquake, I suppose I should therefore run for the shed.

I don't fault the village board; I consider that overzealous enforcement in the absense of common sense.

-Steve

** Posted from
**
Reply to
StephenM

What's the law? The International Residential Code only lists the three northernmost counties of NY state as being in seismic zone D1 or higher and specifically exempts detached structures less than 200 square feet in area from the permit process, however NY state uses a modified version of that code with permitting requirements estabilished by statute and with local ordinance also able to place other requirements on the permit process. So if you're in Seismic Zone D1 and the local ordinances don't exempt your shed the inspector doesn't have a lot of choice in what he enforces.

The code generally grandfathers existing structures, hence your house doesn't have to be rebuilt.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Sure he does... happens every day (I'm not saying it's right, just that it is the way things are).

All true. Northernmost county, 12x22 shed etc.

It is the law. My point was that it was that it was ouside the bounds of common sense, not outside the bounds of the law.

In a small community there are two factors that come into play: "limitted resources" and "every-body knows everybody". Besides not having enough time to for zero-tolerance enforement he would likely be run out of town for being a d*****ad. He does not enforce everything to the letter of the law (I have been the beneficiary, and I have seen it in several other cases).

At least in this community, zero-tolerance code enforcement is neither realistic nor practical. That is, they (in this case I mean not just the inspector but also the villiage board.) probably could not make it happen even if they were so inclined.

-Steve

** Posted from
**
Reply to
StephenM

If he gives your shed a pass in a community like that, then the next guy will have one a little bigger and expect the same, and so on until he's expected to give a 28 story high-rise a pass.

Reply to
J. Clarke

As far as I'm concerned most permits are to generate taxable income. Anything not structural or electrical should not need a permit.

Rich

Reply to
evodawg

"evodawg" wrote

If you would add but Plumbing and HVAC to that, both of which cry for inspection to protect the unwary, I would mostly agree.

That said, the permitting process is used to enforce building standards and to protect the unwary against the practices of shoddy remodelers and builders, whose numbers are legion.

... and, just wait to see how those legions will multiply most don't speak English.

IOW, with regard to building permits/code enforcement, you ain't seen nothing yet! ... and be thankful for it! :(

Reply to
Swingman

I agree, HVAC involves electrical. Plumbing, usually it either works or it leaks. Pretty stupid simple. But to protect the innocent then ok.

Reply to
evodawg

evodawg wrote: ...

Not always so simple, no.

Reply to
dpb

Absolutely agree ... it's amazing, how the interconnected complexity of a plumbing system, discounting leaks, including hot and cold supply lines, drain lines, water heating/distribution, the proper flushing of commodes for the next 50 years or so, can all be problematic and are subject to a good many scientific principles.

(That said, the only thing quicker to chill the bone's of a builder, other than the sight of an electrician with a sawzall in hand, is a plumber with one!) ;)

Despite the need for a good design and ductwork, HVAC has a good bit of 'plumbing" involved as well ... Freon lines, drainage, both primary and backup for the evaporator coils/air handler units, which are often in attics where they can cause a great deal of damage when not designed properly fail/get stopped up. While these guys aren't plumbers, they still need a lot of the same skills for proper installation.

All in need of competent "inspection".

I can guarantee, unequivocally, that _most_ builder's, particularly the Italian loafered, khaki pants/ blue button down shirt variety, driving from jobsite to jobsite in a Lexus complete with wraparound Armani's, are NOT the people you want making sure these things are done correctly!

DAMHIKT ... :)

--

Last update: 5/14/08 KarlC@ (the obvious)

Reply to