Peen rod for rivets

I need to peen over a 3/16 rod to serve as a rivet, been years since I have done so. Can anyone tell me how much longer the piece of rod should be (beyond the grip length) to peen two heads?

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Estimate and make a test rivet. Adjust the length from there until it suits you Bugs.

Reply to
Bugs

On one end scribe a mark say 1/8 " from end, put in vise & peen that end. with that reference you should be able to calculate where to cut.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

If I am remembering my old sheet metal class correctly, it was to hold the amount to be peened just slightly over the diameter of the rivet for a round rivet, made by peening to rough shape then finishing with a rivet tool which made the domed head shape nice and round.

For flat rivets like we use in sheet metal work today we use almost the same about one diameter past the metal to be held.

Assuming you are making this rivet yourself out of some rounded stock, make the head for one side of the rivet in a vise so you can get it exactly the way you want it. Then cut it for length and apply.

It is too difficult to take a small piece of rod and put it where it needs to go and peen both sides well while on the project. You should try forming a head to test your rivet metal. Depending on the metal, the shape of the head and the profile you are after, the metal can crack at the edges or you may have to hammer it hard enough that you will distort the shaft making good alignment impossible.

The shop made rivets we used to buy were a very, very mild steel with a flat side (for the vise anvil or a real anvil) to sit on while forming the head. We only used home grown rivets when we ran out of these, or made brass ones out of welding rod when we ran out.

Robert

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Thanks much, that is the info I was after :)

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Helpful too, thanks.

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Should be able to buy snap head [round head] rivets at the better hardware stores . if you are going for snap heads both sides you will need to make a couple of snap head punches one for the vise and one to form the head. One additional puch will also be needed to draw the two sheets you are riveting together .This is a simple piece of rod with a hole drilled in the end the diameter of the rivet plus a little and at least as deep as the rivet is long . While the rivet is in place use this punch and then drive the rivet..

Reply to
mike hide