Patternmaker's Vise

Greetings and Salutations. A friend and I were chatting the other day about the happy topic of Patternmaker's vises, and, their availablity and such, and, an interesting (and so far unanswered) question came to us. According to at least some of the advertising by the Emmert company, they produced 200,000 vises. After Emmert went away, Yost produced some unknown number of these tools. A company named Kindt-Collins made a LOT of them that went to manufacturing and Aerospace. Why is it that the only vises that seem to show up are Emmerts, and, why is it that there are so "few" of them surfacing? I have been poking about for several years, and don't recall seeing ANY patternmaker's vises on Ebay, except for Emmerts. It would seem that these other vises would show up SOMETIME, would it not? Who, out there, knows the answer to this riddle? I figure if ANYONE does, they would be here. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

Oliver also made them and I have seen one (an Oliver) on eBay recently. I could be wrong but I believe the Olivers might have been the very earliest (original?) patternmaker's vises.

All my older Kindt-Collins (still in business) catalogs list Emmerts. My '87 catalog shows essentially the same vise branded Kindt Collins.

Your "go to" guy on this subject is Jeff McVey. I'm pretty sure a search of Al Gore's Google will bring something up on him. If you have difficulty ping me on the back channel and I'll fish up his e-mail addy. Anyway, he should be able to spew off any vise makers we haven't touched on so far and he may be able to shed a little light on availability.

Oh, and your original question, makes a good point. Aliens? Personally, I think there's such a market for any patternmaker's vise that anything that comes on the market is snatched up right away (its feet never touch the ground).

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

If I may? It dawned on me shortly after posting this that Jeff's past time is miter (mitre David) trimmers.

I'm sure you can find someone knowledgeable on patternmaker's vises on the Porch.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Mike