Pattern Router Bits Sizes

This might sound like a silly question but why would I need pattern bits with different diameters ? I'm thinking the more intricate the pattern the smaller the diameter.

Thanks.

Reply to
Joe I

Depends on how much you're trying to hog off in a single pass. I use them for triming up curves after roughing them out on the bandsaw (large radius curves like the arched back of a bench for example). So in my case I'm not trying to follow intricate patterns so much as I'm avoiding spending time on the drum sander :) And I like to use a large diameter pattern bit (1/2" in my case, don't want to go so big as to stress my router either) so it takes the stress better.

They also make dado cleanup bits (real shallow bits with a bearing at the top) to flatten the bottoms of dados cut on a tablesaw (guess you'd only do this if you were to see the dado from the side -- the bevel edges that precut the edges to relieve tearout would be noticable in this case). These range from 1/4" up to 3/4" in size.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Idaho

Good question, see the