pattern and number of screws?

I would like to use surplus lumber to create overhead storage for a small amount of lumber, PVC pipe, copper pipe, etc. The pine lumber will be attached to 16oc joists in garage. Due to the limited mass to be stored and a plentiful supply of wood screws, I figured bolts are overkill.

I don't think I can get into too much trouble with my intuition on a job like this, but I would appreciate it if anyone could recommend a website where I could learn something about picking screws, pilot holes, and the best patterns of inserting the screws. I've gleened a bit reading the posts, but didn't see anything on patterns and spacing of screws. Thanks.

Reply to
Rald

I always try to stagger fastenings rather than put them in a straight line.

Quantity depends on how much weight they are holding and how that weight acts on them...if the weight is trying to shear them you need very few compared to pull out weight.

Best I can offer with info given...

Reply to
dadiOH

McFeelys.com or their catalog has a LOT of information on screws. I'd try looking there and maybe emailing them direct if you can't find what you need. And folks here are a wealth of knowledge, so post more detail on your application and you'll most likely find what you're looking for. (My tip: drill accurately sized pilot holes!)

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

think I-beam structural

Reply to
bent

I've done the same thing. I use 1x2 pine (or similar available scraps) for the supports that run perpendicular to the joists. I use one #8 x

2" screw at each intersection. Place a cross piece every four or five feet. Do use the square drive screws from McFeelys. The difference is amazing.

Mitch

Reply to
MB