Pathetic wood lust moment...

I'll see you bagpipes and banjo, and raise you an 8-year-old's "drum set".

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

And I'm going all-in with an accordian.

Joe C.

Reply to
Joe C.

Okay, I'll go for the accordion.

--RC

Reply to
Rick Cook

Accordion

Basson

Baritone Sax

Viola

Reply to
Rick

You'll note, the original poster did say *musical* instruments. ;-) (ducking and running)

Mark & Juanita

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 23:19:43 GMT, the inscrutable Rick Cook spake:

I'll see your pipes and banjos and raise you $1.00 plastic recorders (Flute, Davey) and bongos from Dollar Tree.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Dang! I like Bagpipes, Banjos *and* accordians.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

"Rick" wrote in news:WhVOd.59337 $ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

In the SF Bay area, a good bassoonist can reasonably work as much as they want. Orchestra, ensemble, etc.

You can keep the the bagpipes and the accordian, however.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

If I could afford them, I'd *own* a set of bagpipes.

Reply to
Silvan

Touché.

Reply to
Silvan

If I could afford one, I'd *own* a banjo.

Reply to
Silvan

I have to reject that submission, Larry. The key criterion here is "functional." That excludes everything from Dollar Tree, Target or Wal-Mart.

Although those crappy First Act recorders are playable after you clean up the mold lines and ream out a couple of the undersized holes. Barely.

Reply to
Silvan

Dave Hinz wrote: ...

Sure do...me! :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Just so we're both on the same page, there are meant to be counterexamples to the "never damage a musical instrument on purpose". I mean, really, do you ever hear someone say "Wow, could you please play that banjo even louder", or "come closer with those bagpipes please"?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

What state are you in? I've got one I don't use. Fairly crappy but playable. Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Some might say it's an open question as to whether bagpipes and banjos even fall into the category of musical instruments.

Doug Miller

With respect to the banjo, probably not any of those folks making millions playing bluegrass music which to some of us is the best example of an American music form, just above jazz

Reply to
Dave Hall

Well, Scottish hillbilly at least :-)

I also like Bassoons, Bari. Sax and Viola.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Me too!

Just remember that Bagpipes were instruments for military bands and can double as an offensive weapon. They are *not* intended to be played indoors. But there is nothing as stirring as a massed pipe band or as melancholy as a lone piper on a distant hill.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass