paint vs wood preservative

trying to decide whether just to use paint on sub flooring and bottom of threshold or apply a wood preservative

paint is less toxic but does a decent job of protecting the wood

paint is not bug friendly but preservative is more so

preservative is nasty to apply just for the smell and it lingers for some time

Reply to
Electric Comet

To me - paint implies re-paint. at some point in time. .. to preserve.

preservative implies replace when rotted ... at some further point in time.

Do you wish to re-apply to a sub-floor or thresh-hold ?

John T.

Reply to
hubops

somewhat true nevertheless i have seen painted areas that were not exposed to traffic or elements remain near original for a long time

the preservative will prevent rot as well

at least it is supposed to

Reply to
Electric Comet

I'd talk to a paint man.

I'd use a sealer with fungus control in it. e.g. like bathroom paint. Sealer is a stronger (I think) than preservative.

Mart>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

got some preservative called copper green or something like that nasty smelling and stains the wood a dark brown

Reply to
Electric Comet

Copper Green will ward off termites and wood eating buggers. Copper is dangerous for them.

It doesn't do much for the wood; it is nasty to apply under a house in crawl spaces and do the whole under of a house! Been there and did that a number of times over 17+ years living on a mountain side.

Kills sealer might be better.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

supposed to also prevent fungus and mold and other common wood ailments

will have to look at that one

Reply to
Electric Comet

Right - been 10 years since I pained two cans on the house.

Copper is tough on fish and bugs, lizards.... as well.

My house sat on top of a massive root ball of a half dozen 100-150' Coastal Redwoods. Stuff sprouted under the house from time to time.

I had two large rings of them and stumps the size of a small truck and these were burnt so the outside didn't grow on top of the trunk.

Once and only once in 17+ years were toad stools that were 18" in diameter and about that tall. Normally they are in the forest and are eaten before they got big. I took a picture to a professor at the local college and he noticed what they were and told me to leave them alone. They come up bloom and die off. Something like locust - every so many years.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn