overworked wood

The walnut I'm using for the dresser has some knotholes and portions of some pieces are denser than others. These dense areas are brighter than the rest of the board and stand out after sanding. What's the best way to dull the shine and make them look like the rest of the board? Thx

Reply to
xxxx

ome pieces are denser than others. These dense areas are brighter than the rest of the board and stand out after sanding. What's the best way to dull the shine and make them look like the rest of the board? Thx

I suspect what you are describing is the wood fibers are running in differe nt directions, hence, some areas show up as shiny areas and other areas sho w as "dull" areas. If you have some scrap pieces, prep as normal and oil them, to see if the "unwanted" effects go away.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

It's a little pricey but crystalac will even out your finish.

Michael

Use them to your advantage. I suspect that they have some figure to them, as most walnut knots do. Let it show.. Once you topcoat it, they should be of the same sheen.

Reply to
woodchucker