OT - you ever do something that, at the time, you have no idea why?

This is OT - but there is woodworking involved.

I like to turn lidded boxes. For some reason I got into "nested" turned lidded boxes. I don't know why.

And while some like to turn bigger and bigger things - I seem to go the other way. So I turned a little lidded box - about the diameter of a dime - I don't, or rather didn't, know why.

It fit nicely into the one I did that was between a nickle and a quarter in diameter, which in turn fit inside the "biggest one" that was about the diameter of a silver dollar (even though there's almost no silver in a "silver dollar" we call them silver dollars. I don't know why)

So anyway I've got the littlest one in maple with a black walnut finial, the medium sized one in black walnut with a maple finial and another "big one" , again back to maple with a black walnut finial. Don't know why.

Heading out the door to do a demonstration of the DOMINO to a wood phreaks club, I picked up the nested boxes and put them in my pocket. Don't know why.

A mile from where I was going - and going uphill of course - smoke started coming from somewhere and I was getting no power to the wheels - not good when driving up a hill. And without power, the power brakes and power stearing stopped being powered. Don't know why (but I suspect I blew the tranny - or the head - the latter being less expensive but I'm betting it'll be the tranny).

So it's pushing 7 pm, I'm a mile or so from the nearest phone sitting in a lane of traffic - with no power. (I don't have a cell phone. I don't know why.)

While I'm popping the hood to see if I need to figure out how to put out a fire - a car pulls up behind me - blinkers on - and a young woman, in a tae kwon do "gee" gets out and says "Need a hand?" I don't know why.

She HAD a cell phone and I called Triple A while she directed a bunch of women cyclist around us. The "leader of this group starts yelling at ME for creating a hazardous condition for her cycling team. I don't know why.

The kindness and helpfulness of the woman in the gee more than countered The Yeller. I do know why.

The gee lady offered to give me a ride to where I was going and then I knew why I'd put the nested lidded boxes in my pocket, even though, at the time I didn't know why.

Her kindness was rewarded - in a little way - and I made it to the meeting and did my demo - since AAA wasn't going to get out to tow my van for "at least a couple of hours". I don't know why.

Conclusion: Sometimes when you do something for no apparent reason but Don't Know Why - wait a little while and the reason may become clear. I don't know why.

I do know that for every ass hole on the planet, there are a couple of thousand angels. And I smile when I get reminded of that. I don't know why.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

"charlieb" wrote

I am sure she appreciated the gifts Charlie. That was a classy thing to do.

How did the Domino demo go?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Nice.

[snipped]

Reply to
LRod

I'm glad you made it. I don't know why.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Nice story Charlieb.

Now, if you lost power and lost power steering and or brakes too, it was the motor not the transmission that was the problem.

Reply to
Leon

Good story and I do know why.

I had a similar situation about 15 years ago. I was going to meet someone at the Amsterdam exit of the NY Thruway and go with him to see a customer. It was a few hours from home and only a 20-30 minute visit with the customer so I asked my wife to go with me. We were sitting at the exit waiting to meet the other fellow and we were watching the traffic. A tow truck went by us and I remarked about the colors. Many colors, quite laughable, we thought.

Minutes later, we met my associate and we were on the other side of town heading up a hell. Suddenly, loss of power, smoke, etc. Car was dead. I called an Oldsmobile dealer for help and he sent a tow truck. You can guess which one. He towed us to the dealer, dropped us at a hotel. Lesson learned: Never make fun of the paint scheme of a tow truck.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Really?

I know why.

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

| Conclusion: Sometimes when you do something for no | apparent reason but Don't Know Why - wait a little | while and the reason may become clear. I don't know | why.

Sure you do - you just didn't know the nomenclature.

It's called "deja do". 8-)

Morris Dovey

On Tuesday, May 22, my friend, buisness partner, and I were riding our Harleys (1999 Harley-Davidson FLS) that we bought at the same time, to a business meeting. He left about 1 min. before I did.

1/2 mile down the road I found him dead. An SUV was passing him as he turned left into the driveway of our shop and killed him instantly.

I stayed at the restaurant to pay the bill.

What if he had stayed and used the same company Visa card as I had to pay the bill.

Would I be typing this now?

Reply to
pumis

Ass holes and Angels.

A disproportionate number of the former drove cadillacs, then mercedes and now it seems - SUVs.

Bikers have one thing to protect them - maneuverability (sp?) - but only to get around what's ahead.

Sorry for the loss of your friend. I guess if you've got to go, going while doing something you love to do . . .

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

Sorry to hear about you partner.

2 things about Harleys, one good, one bad.

Typically motorists can hear the Harley rider coming up from behind. Typically the Harley rider cannot hear motorists coming up from behind.

Reply to
Leon