OT: Water heater question

------------------------------------------------------- That's going to be marginal.

Water coming out of the ground will be around 50F-54F year around based on a lot of heat exchanger design and development work I did many years ago.

A delta of 65F will give a discharge of 115F at 3.8 gpm.

115F is warm but definitely not hot which is about 130F.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It's called a BTU (the energy it takes to raise a pound of water one degree F). ;-) You need 8*gal*degree_rise/min BTU.

Reply to
krw

I'll take your word on that, I always understood that they ran full bore when the water was turned on, just like a tank type heater. I understood that any flow rate above "x" ran the heater at full throttle and any below "x" did not turn the heater on at all in the event of a dripping faucet.

Again ill take your word on that but it sounds like a faulty flow meter problem.

Exactly. Take the whole state of California for instance. They are all standing on shaky ground and the more they clean the air the drier it becomes and is ripe for wild fires and preventing rain.

Reply to
Leon

All units I've dealt with have multiple sensors, and a flow rate restrictor, that use a microprocessor to adjust the heating ability to both the flow rate, and temperature, of incoming water so that that it matches the "set point" temperature (generally a setting that is user controlled).

Also have noted that many user complaints can be traced to the usual reduced water pressure/flow rate on the output side of these units due to the restriction, compared to the input, especially when used in conjunction with modern "pressure" balanced fixtures.

So, yes, there is generally flow rate restriction available/involved internally, and they don't necessarily run "full bore".

Therefore the basis of my original opinion - not for the faint of heart, and certainly more expense to install and _maintain_.

Reply to
Swingman

I think I was skeptical about them after learning how much the vent pipe cost was on the Ruskin house, now I am certain that the tanks will continue to be in the future for me.

Reply to
Leon