OT: The secret to doing your taxes is

I don't really know, if Q05 is doing what you want, you are probably OK until they decide to sunset it for Q07 or 08. Even then, if you don't use the online features, you're OK. I'm sticking with Q2002 as long as I can

-- I don't use online features anyway.

Mark & Juanita

And if everyone's cost of doing business is lowered by 25%, and *one* distributor reduces his prices accordingly while his competitors do not, that one distributor will have an enormous competitive advantage. The others will have no choice but to lower their prices as well if they wish to remain competitive.

Doug Miller

So what? Even if that's true there is still a savings. Not only does the business benefit because they no longer have to deal with that compliance cost the consumer benefits as the price for the goods drop. And best of all they pay no federal, fica, medicare tax. That equates to a pay raise as well as savings and buying power. It also opens the US up for additional foreign investment.

Reply to
taxpayer779

There are a whole lof of s (those are "big if's" :) ) in that last paragraph, and none are likely to be (or come) true...

I'll reiterate just one more time...if

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

If there's no FIT, FICA, Medicare Supplemental, where's the revenue stream coming from?

As noted previously, there's to be a revenue stream generated that's roughly the same in relationship to GNP as present and unless (but unlikely imo) the general populace decides they're going to be satisfied w/ reduced SS, Medicare/Medicaid, etc., benefits it's going to have to rise significantly as the population ages. To make this up w/ GST w/ exemptions for income level, etc., simply transfers the cost of goods from production to consumption and the cost of documentation of meeting the requirements and the various collection schemes from the manufactuerers to the retailers/consumer (at best).

In the end, it ain't gonna' happen and the fantasized savings just are going to be transferred to other forms, quite possibly more insiduous and fraught w/ the laws of unforeseen consequences.

There are simply too many entrenched oxes to be gored to make a "clean start" a viable option and by the time it got through Congress it would be anything but clean...

There'd be the exemptions for home interest and if there isn't a FIT to take the deduction against there'd have to be a justification for need the rebate against the GST, and there ya' go...a whole new set of reg's/forms. And that's just one of the many.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Sales tax and/or VAT.

Doug Miller

You're still missing the point. This started when the assumption that prices would fall was questioned. I'm attempting to explain why that would happen, not to argue that one business or another would obtain a competitive advantage. The point is that *some* business, somewhere, *would* reduce its prices to obtain a competitive advantage, and its competitors would be forced to follow suit in order to maintain their current competitive posture. Thus all prices would fall.

Doug Miller

Doug Miller wrote: ...

Dream on... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I assume you are replying to this:

My point is that the savings are so small that the ultimate gain to the taxpayer is probably on the order of a fraction of one percent - call it maybe $20 a year that you might save in lower costs. Realize also that adding a sales tax will create *more* compliance costs since there are more retail outlets than there are manufacturers. In the end the guy paying the taxes will be neither better nor worse, we will just be dealing with a different system.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

That's easy - we all have National Tax Debit Cards. Every purchase is run through the NTDC along with however we wish to pay for the item. You could elect to pay the tax at the point of sale or pay it at a later date. If you didn't pay at the time of sale, the program could be set up with choices for pulling the tax from various sources - you could have the amount pulled from every paycheck; or you could have the Feds EFT it from a bank account on a regular basis; or you could send in quarterly payments on your account balance (OAC).

Doesn't that get yer panties in a bunch?

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Hmm. Top quality tools are already difficult enough to find...

Morris Dovey

Just about how I did it. Had a bit of a headache the next morning. Actually, I didn't hit the last "Send" button until the whole thing saw the light of day.

-Dan V.

Reply to
Dan Valleskey