OT: The Problem With LED's

With reduced lumen output and a depreciated cri

Reply to
Clare Snyder

It is in SOME cheap LED apps - There is a set of LED undercounter lights from Lee Valley that uses stackable selectable filters to "adjust" the colour trmp.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Added feature and marketing budget adds up. It was a joke anyway.

Reply to
Markem

One would think that the cheap technology would be included. BUT that is a lost sale of the cheap technology.

You can buy LED multi color and pattern remote controllers for about $5. If it were included with every light, no one would buy the Controller.

Manufacturers look at every "PENNY" when considering what will be included.

Reply to
Leon

Except the controller can not control the cheap tech currently used.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

A multicolor light kit requires multiple LEDs of different colors. Just putting a controller on a single LED won't change the color. That's determined either by the chemistry of the LED for direct emission LED or by the chemistry of the phosphor for the white ones.

Reply to
J. Clarke

But I didn't say give it away. I even said in an earlier post that I'd pay that extra buck or two for that switchable color temperature.

I was talking about color temperature, not color of LED. Soft White, Bright White, Daylight, etc. Not blue, green, red. I used the term "color temperature" in my other posts but accidentally left out the word "temperature" in the one you just responded to. My bad.

The Commercial Electric unit I linked to has a switch for 5 choices of color temperature. That's what I would like to see in my fan and that's what I'd pay a buck or two extra for.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Let me set the record straight. I was talking about color temperature, not color of light. I used the word "temperature" in all my other posts but left it out of one and sent us all down a different road. My bad.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A buck in the bill of materials is more like ten bucks retail. They made the marketing decision that not enough customers would pay the additional to offset those who didn't care about that option and bought another company's product.

But color temperature doesn't (necessarily) change the CRI. Actually, the reference for CRI changes with color temperature (5000K and above vs, less than 5000K, iirc). You'd have to change the color to change the CRI (and that wouldn't be easy).

I have a utility light that has a variable color temperature too. It gives up a lot of lumens to another similar unit from the same company, at the same price point.

Reply to
krw

Color "temperature" IS color. Just a pretty narrow range of wavelength.

RGB lighting basically "averages" wavelength - so the human eye sees a particular color. Direct emmission radiators "mix" to white. Single radiator "white" LEDs use Phosphours like flourescents, which are excited by the wavelength of the junction and are NOT adjustable.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

What follows is simply FYI: There is no apostrophe in LEDs. LEDs is simply the plural form of LED. LED's is the possessive form.

Reply to
rosemontcrest

All my figures were cost to the consumer, not cost to manufacture. $13 was retail for the LED can cover. $300 was retail for the fan. The buck or two extra I said I'd pay was the retail buck or two.

I'm pretty sure that the switchable color temp technology in a $13 fixture doesn't add $1 - $2 to the *manufacturing* cost. That's way too high of a percentage. If $1 leads to $10 retail, then the cost to manufacture the entire fixture must be about $1.30. No way you get to $13 retail if the color switching technology by itself cost $1 - $2. It's probably more like pennies to build it in, leading to a buck or two retail.

That was my point. Pennies at the factory, a buck or two on the retail end and you get a much more user friendly light kit in a $300 fan. Something I'd be willing to pay for.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

But the AVERAGE American consumer makes decisions based on a price difference of a dollar or two all the time.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I'm pretty much an average consumer and I've made my decision. I'd pay the extra dollar or two for color temperature switching in the fan I bought.

Besides, since the fan in question is available for as low as $231 to as much as $290, *that's* where decisions are being made, not in the dollar or two extra for the switching feature.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

For *some* Kichlers perhaps, not for the 330001. I called and asked.

Sure, but I don't want a different fan. That's the whole point of this thread.

Not with the fan that I bought. I asked that too. No other light kit, at least not as a spare part, is available for the 33001.

Maybe, if I dug really deep, I might find a different fan with a compatible light kit, in the color temp I want. Then I could buy that fan, swap out the light kit, put it in the fan I already own and then return the extra fan.

Sounds like a great, but dishonest, plan. No thanks.

Reply to
DerbyDad03