OT: Removing remains of glued subfloor from joists

Anyone have a great method for removing the remains of a glued subfloor fro m joists? After I pull off the subfloor, there bits and pieces still glued
on there. I've been using a chisel and hammer but it's really slow going. M aybe someone has a better method? Thanks!
On Sat, 4 Jul 2020 07:45:21 -0700 (PDT), Michael

Try a heavy scraper - sharpen it up with a mill file ?
https://www.lowes.ca/product/floor-scrapers/garant-85-in-steel-floor-scraper-889394
John T.
On Sat, 04 Jul 2020 10:54:06 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

If it's construction adhesive, try a scraper blade in a oscillating multitool. Can't advise on brands--I have an ancient Fein that still works for me but today I would go with something else--the durability is there but the main directive given to their blade mount designers seems to be to make sure that generic blades don't fit.
On Saturday, July 4, 2020 at 9:45:24 AM UTC-5, Michael wrote:

rom joists? After I pull off the subfloor, there bits and pieces still glue d on there. I've been using a chisel and hammer but it's really slow going. Maybe someone has a better method? Thanks!
John and J. Clarke,
I will try both today. Thanks!
I have a Bosch multi-tool with a tail that has served me well so far.
On Saturday, July 4, 2020 at 9:45:24 AM UTC-5, Michael wrote:

rom joists? After I pull off the subfloor, there bits and pieces still glue d on there. I've been using a chisel and hammer but it's really slow going. Maybe someone has a better method? Thanks!
If there's lots of scruff, maybe go to a pawn shop and buy a (cheap?) handh eld planer.
Sonny
On Saturday, July 4, 2020 at 6:29:53 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:

from joists? After I pull off the subfloor, there bits and pieces still gl ued on there. I've been using a chisel and hammer but it's really slow goin g. Maybe someone has a better method? Thanks!

dheld planer.

Thanks, Sonny. I wondered about that. I have plenty of off-brand hand plane s lying around I can try.
On Sat, 4 Jul 2020 21:19:55 -0700 (PDT), Michael

I think he's thinking of a power planer. Trouble with that is that construction adhesive tends to gum them up. And avoiding taking anything off the dimension of the joist would take some practice.
On Sat, 4 Jul 2020 21:19:55 -0700 (PDT), Michael

OK How would that be easier & faster than a big ol' chisel ? .. or a sharp floor scraper .. ... just curious. John T.
On Sun, 05 Jul 2020 06:29:03 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Or REAL careful with 40 grit on a belt sander - just don't let it build heat.
On Sunday, July 5, 2020 at 5:24:33 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

oor from joists? After I pull off the subfloor, there bits and pieces still glued on there. I've been using a chisel and hammer but it's really slow g oing. Maybe someone has a better method? Thanks!

handheld planer.

anes lying around I can try.

I've been using a big chisel. It works pretty well when I chiseling uphill on the grain of the joist. It's just taking a long time, and I have a lot t o do.
I don't think I'm good enough with a belt sander to try that. I'm laying ti le, so any low spots would be problem.
Thanks!
On 7/5/2020 10:37 AM, Michael wrote:

Shouldn't be bad...but, I've used a belt sander bunches so am pretty handy with one.
The hand plane will be a help compared to just beating on a chisel; if you could find one cheap, a power hand plane might be a good candidate.
Wouldn't worry much about a little wave as long as you don't just grossly dig in; when get the new subfloor down you'll have to finish tune up it for level and flat, anyways...

On 7/5/2020 5:29 AM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

It's got the handle and sole to follow the joist for the areas can get to with it away from the ends, anyways...
Depending upon just what the material is, may be difficult going if it's extremely hard.
Just be willing to sacrifice the blade(s); will have to resharpen aggressively quite often.
On Saturday, July 4, 2020 at 10:45:24 AM UTC-4, Michael wrote:

rom joists? After I pull off the subfloor, there bits and pieces still glue d on there. I've been using a chisel and hammer but it's really slow going. Maybe someone has a better method? Thanks!
Find the highest scrap of sub-floor residue in the area.
Sister new joists onto all the old ones, offset up just enough to match that height.
Are you done yet?