OT: Removing remains of glued subfloor from joists

Anyone have a great method for removing the remains of a glued subfloor fro m joists? After I pull off the subfloor, there bits and pieces still glued on there. I've been using a chisel and hammer but it's really slow going. M aybe someone has a better method? Thanks!

Reply to
Michael

Try a heavy scraper - sharpen it up with a mill file ?

John T.

Reply to
hubops

If it's construction adhesive, try a scraper blade in a oscillating multitool. Can't advise on brands--I have an ancient Fein that still works for me but today I would go with something else--the durability is there but the main directive given to their blade mount designers seems to be to make sure that generic blades don't fit.

Reply to
J. Clarke

rom joists? After I pull off the subfloor, there bits and pieces still glue d on there. I've been using a chisel and hammer but it's really slow going. Maybe someone has a better method? Thanks!

John and J. Clarke,

I will try both today. Thanks!

I have a Bosch multi-tool with a tail that has served me well so far.

Reply to
Michael

rom joists? After I pull off the subfloor, there bits and pieces still glue d on there. I've been using a chisel and hammer but it's really slow going. Maybe someone has a better method? Thanks!

If there's lots of scruff, maybe go to a pawn shop and buy a (cheap?) handh eld planer.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

rom joists? After I pull off the subfloor, there bits and pieces still glue d on there. I've been using a chisel and hammer but it's really slow going. Maybe someone has a better method? Thanks!

Find the highest scrap of sub-floor residue in the area.

Sister new joists onto all the old ones, offset up just enough to match that height.

Are you done yet?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

from joists? After I pull off the subfloor, there bits and pieces still gl ued on there. I've been using a chisel and hammer but it's really slow goin g. Maybe someone has a better method? Thanks!

dheld planer.

Thanks, Sonny. I wondered about that. I have plenty of off-brand hand plane s lying around I can try.

Reply to
Michael

I think he's thinking of a power planer. Trouble with that is that construction adhesive tends to gum them up. And avoiding taking anything off the dimension of the joist would take some practice.

Reply to
J. Clarke

OK How would that be easier & faster than a big ol' chisel ? .. or a sharp floor scraper .. ... just curious. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Or REAL careful with 40 grit on a belt sander - just don't let it build heat.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

oor from joists? After I pull off the subfloor, there bits and pieces still glued on there. I've been using a chisel and hammer but it's really slow g oing. Maybe someone has a better method? Thanks!

handheld planer.

anes lying around I can try.

I've been using a big chisel. It works pretty well when I chiseling uphill on the grain of the joist. It's just taking a long time, and I have a lot t o do.

I don't think I'm good enough with a belt sander to try that. I'm laying ti le, so any low spots would be problem.

Thanks!

Reply to
Michael

It's got the handle and sole to follow the joist for the areas can get to with it away from the ends, anyways...

Depending upon just what the material is, may be difficult going if it's extremely hard.

Just be willing to sacrifice the blade(s); will have to resharpen aggressively quite often.

Reply to
dpb

Shouldn't be bad...but, I've used a belt sander bunches so am pretty handy with one.

The hand plane will be a help compared to just beating on a chisel; if you could find one cheap, a power hand plane might be a good candidate.

Wouldn't worry much about a little wave as long as you don't just grossly dig in; when get the new subfloor down you'll have to finish tune up it for level and flat, anyways...

Reply to
dpb

Like the planer, I'd think the belts would gum up _fast_.

Reply to
krw

I'd lay Hardi-backer over the subfloor with thinset between and screw the hell out of it all. Worked well for me in the past. The tile (or was it the thinset?) recommended at least an inch of subflooring under the tile anyway.

Reply to
krw