Removing ceiling joists

We have a dormer and it is built into the gable roof. We are adding a skylight and would like to remove the ceiling joists to drywall with the roofline. Can we remove these safely without compromising the roof?

-------------------------------------

Reply to
Shelly

Almost assuredly not. People don't add useless structural elements when they're building houses. They're there for a reason. If you really want to get rid of the ceiling joists you should get a professional opinion.

Posting a link to some pictures would help in the diagnosis.

RicodJour

Shelly wrote the following:

Not enough information. Is the dormer part of a room in the attic? Are you putting the skylight in the dormer roof? Does the dormer have a flat roof or a gabled roof? Is the skylight shaft going to pass through the attic to the room(s) below the attic? I guess it must be if you are talking about cutting ceiling joists, unless you meant cutting rafters.

Here is some info.

willshak

The Dormer can be modified to remove the ceiling joists,add a skylight and sheet rock the roofline however........ A new ridge member needs to be in place to "support" the roof line in lieu of the ceiling joist. This needs to be a "beam" or built up beam, or new support under original ridge. Also when insulation is provided, venting needs to be addressed so as not to trap moisture in the cells of the roof. This can be achieved by a "ridge vent and screened venting along the blocking where the rafter touches the plate. This will create a "flow" of air to remove moist air that collects in the ceiling area.

I know I have "complicated" a simple plan, but these steps are necessary for a properly designed alteration to your home.

We have a dormer and it is built into the gable roof. We are adding a skylight and would like to remove the ceiling joists to drywall with the roofline. Can we remove these safely without compromising the roof?

Reply to
jloomis

Of course a better description of the problem would be beneficial. jloomisconstruction.com