OT: Painting brick?

I'm going to be painting a circa-1890 brick home that is currently painted, but peeling. Anyone have any opinions about "elastomeric" paint? What's the best way to prep the brick? Power washer? Sand blast? Wire brush? I want to do a good job, but I don't want to damage what I've heard is "soft" brick and mortar since it's so old. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

------------------------------------- You may have a big surprise waiting for you.

Before I did anything, I'd check to see if existing paint is lead based.

If so, you're looking at a HazMat company to come in and remove old paint.$$$$$

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lew is right. No doubt that if the brick has been painted a few times at least one or two coats will be lead based.

I know you are supposed to have hazmat remove loose chips and debris, but don't know anyone around here that does that.

We power wash with a light detergent/mold killer in the stream, then rinse. Then we let the surfaces dry. After they dry you have to scrape off the remaining chips. By keeping them in chip form, the lead paint stays manageable, and you can use a lawn vacuum to pick up every last piece.

But if you sand, that's different. Just sanding the surfaces even is too much lead paint dust. That is a different subject, see Lew's comment.

After power washing you will probably have a bit of a rough surface, but if you meticulously get the loose stuff off with a hand scraper it will still paint.

We don't full power wash as >> I

Reply to
nailshooter41

Lew is right. No doubt that if the brick has been painted a few times at least one or two coats will be lead based.

I know you are supposed to have hazmat remove loose chips and debris, but don't know anyone around here that does that.

-------------------------------------- Having had to deal with regulatory agencies (SCAQMD) who have a ability to access fines as they see fit, it's a risk I not be willing to take.

A telephone call from a neighbor or a disgruntled customer to OSHA and you are toast.

The benefit is simply not worth the risk IMHO.

OTOH, YMMV.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I. While ignorance of the law is no excuse, ignorance of the facts often is. If you test for lead, you are no longer ignorant of the facts.

II. If the old paint peels, the new paint may very well also.

Reply to
HeyBub

As mentioned by HeyBub, you may want to look into a quality "brick primer". Moisture that gets into the brick can cause paint to peel.

Reply to
Leon

On Tue, 25 May 2010 00:42:35 -0700, "Lew Hodgett" wrote the following:

One of my clients with rental units is merely painting over the old paint rather than disturbing anything which may turn out to be lead-based. You can futz with up to 25 s/f of paint before needing to do the plastic and haz-mat bullshit. Needless bureaucracy, IMO.

My business will either do paintovers or no painting in the future if it turns out to contain lead. 'taint worth it. I refuse go get caught anywhere near the lead/asbestos/mercury/carbon bullshit parade, thankyouverymuch.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks much for the info Robert, Lew, et al. Sorry I forgot to put "OT" in the subject line. I might have to replace some of the old wood trim though, so maybe you'll give me a pass.

Just back from a big install in Kentucky. Whooo-eee is it hot and humid there already.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique