OT: I often wonder Part Deux.

A client of mine, recently purchased a 45-ft converted bus. It is 23 years old and in immaculate condition. I will be installing a few Corian goodies for him. Something like that, these days, would probably cost around 500K$. But here is what puzzles me. This guy is 72 and has NEVER driven anything bigger than a station wagon. He does NOT need a different license. He is going to be thundering down the road with a 10-ton Pusher at 120 KPH on the same road *I* am travelling on. I mean...WTF???

Reply to
Robatoy

Not to worry, I assure you the vehicle will spend more time in the shop than on the road. My sister and brother- in law bought a rather extravagant motor home, second hand. Each trip cost them at least $1000 in repairs. The vehicle they bought was a turbo diesel pusher and had 3,600 miles on it when they bought it. Yes three thousand six hundred miles. My parents had

2 motor homes and "I" was always working on it.
Reply to
Leon

Watch out for the ones (I know one personally) that decide to tow their fishing boat behind their small truck (Chevy S-10), behind their converted Bss/Motorhome then wonder why they get stopped by the State Police 150 miles from home and be told, you can only tow ONE vehicle. Choose one, the other stays here.....

Reply to
hdrdtd

Ain't freedom great?!?!

Reply to
Scott Cox

Only needs an endorsement in his license if he is going to charge you for a ride, yet many of these RVs are as big as a commercial bus kind of scary!

Reply to
asmurff

As a long time RV'er, I've always objected to that speed thing..

Even when I was pulling a 6' trailer with a full-size pickup, Calif. says I have to drive at 55 in the slow lane... OTOH, a 90 yr old that never drove anything bigger than a Lincoln can buy a huge motor home and drive it in the fast lane at the Max speed limit..

IMHO, their should be a drivers test and possibly a tag on the license, as they do for motorcycles, for rv's over a certain length or weight.. YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Except in Idaho. Had a friend who would tow a 35' fifth wheel behind his crew cab pickup with a 20' snowmobile trailer behind that. Scared the P(*#%! out of me when he went sailing past me on a two lane road while I was doing (ahem) 70+ mph.

Idaho is funny when it comes to driving.

Tim Douglass

Spelling errors in this message are the product of a poor school system. Pay teachures more than athletes.

Reply to
Tim Douglass

Why? Are there accident statistics you are familiar with that suggest a reason for paranoia? I've never looked for any such statistics myself, but simple driving experiences lead me to believe your concern is unfounded. As to the rules of the road you have to abide by in CA... well, it's CA - what else would one expect?

Reply to
Mike Marlow