Walmart Exterior Paint, Part Deux

Okay, thanks everyone for their responses! I think I'm not going to risk the Wal-Mart Paint. Now I have 2 options instead:

1) Lowe's Paint (Which I hear is Olympic) $75 for 5 Gallons

or

2) Benjamin Moore from my local paint store at approx. $25-30 per gallon.

Now I heard that BJ is absolutely the best there is, and I like that. I'm going to be using about 10 gallons on my house and that would give me about a $100-150 difference in price.

Opinions? Olympic any good or what?

Reply to
excap

Know nothing specific about Olympic paints...I would presume some are probably quite good. I wouldn't expect a $15/gal paint to be up to a paint at nearly twice the price. I'm also sure B-M has alternatives at less than that...I do know that the S-W product w/ the unlimited lifetime warranty is roughly the same price as you mention.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Wise decision about the Wal-Mart paint.

I have no experience with the Olympic paint.

I have not used the better grade of Ben Moore either. The second level exterior gloss paint is a great product. Nice body, goes on smooth, level and covers well. I never manage to paint anything in one coat but over a similar color this paint might do it for most people.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

We recently repainted parts of our house and used top end Benjamin Moors. I'm pleased with it after 8 or 9 months. I've used Sherwin Williams and been pleased with it too. Painter discussed several paint brands. He says he has seen paint brands change in quality from time to time. TB

Reply to
tbasc

If you have the option, check out Glidden Endurance [it's along the same price line as the B-M].

I have no recent experience with Olympic paint, specifically. Their solid color stain is nice, but that's not what you want.

I used B-M a few years ago, so I don't know if they've done a reformulation since. At any rate, there were no problems working with it, and I haven't heard from the customer yet. I know those who swear by B-M *really* swear by it.

I like Lowes' American Traditions interior, but i have no experience with Lowes exterior.

Reply to
Hopkins

It's quite possible that Olympic manufactures brands for other stores to different specs than they do for their own label.

I'd get the Moore.

Reply to
Jim Ranieri

Only two options? Where the hell do you live? The answer to the argument is, there is no good answer. It has been disussed to death here & no one has THE answer.

Paints vary regionally & there are very good paints from regional stores. Mid west- Diamond Vogel. West coast- Frazee- There's also Kelly Moore. Glidden, Benny Moore, & on & on. There are several in my metro area. My point is this. Buy your paint from a paint store. Not from walmart, not from kmart, not from HD or lowes.. Buy the best line they carry. Talk to the manager. Tell him about your particular concerns.

How much of that $30.00 goes to advertising/marketing?

Of course you do. But just because you paid $30 for it, doesn't make it so.

I'm

Olympic sucks.

This must be an easy house to paint if $150 is that important to you.

Paint it. Don't sweat the small shit.

Reply to
3rd eye

Someone else said it, but buy your paint from a paint store, not a mass-merchandiser or even a home-improvement store like HD or Lowes. I'm a big fan of Sherwin Williams and their top-of-the line exterior paint is amazing. Whatever you buy, buy the best they carry.

Reply to
Unrevealed Source

"Unrevealed Source" wrote in news:0ZCne.23884$ snipped-for-privacy@fe05.lga:

FWIW, here are Consumer Reports top 5 exterior paints:

#1 California Fresh Coat Velvet (flat) $27 #2 Glidden Endurance (semigloss) $32 #3 Pratt & Lambert Accolade Eggshell (flat) $35 #4 Glidden Endurance Satin (low luster) $30 #5 Glidden Spred-Dura (gloss) CR Best Buy $20

All are given an "excellent" rating for 3 and 6 year durability. The first three were also given "excellent" for 9 year durability while the last two were given "very good" for 9 year durability.

Reply to
Dave

walmart paint is the best dang paint in the whole dang universe!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
ds549

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net ^^^^^

This says it all.