OT - HOWARD STERN SILENCED

Not true. There is a "perception" that their isn't an absolute (based on the "collective" argument and the Miller case - and that's a modern thing). Gun control groups place all their 2nd amendment arguments in that one basket. There is very little precedent or case law for any gun control legislation (It exists but has not been tested up to the supreme court). And that which is there (Emerson - at the federal appellate level) puts gun control legislation on tenuous ground (In effect clairifying that the Miller case may limit non military weapons (In that case a sawed of shotgun) - but allowing anything the military would use. Including automatic weapons) - placing the argument against gun control based on the collective rights argument on slippery ground. Just for clarification.

So in sum. Gun legislation either tries to skirt second amendment issues or is based on the sole supreme court case of Miller. In other words - until a Second Amendment case is presented to the supreme court on gun control merits - it is still an absolute right, and the well regulated milita clause is still a predicated clause.

Reply to
Eric Scantlebury

Who the hell is Howard Stern?

Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) (Real Email is tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet)

Tom Watson

As the "owner" of the airwaves, which are leased to the stations, the FCC can make what conditions it cares to make for use. First says you're free to speak, it does not say you may do it without consequence. You know certain "hate" words are banned, don't you?

Reply to
George

Yay.

Reply to
BUB 209

I'm saying I don't want to HAVE to roll up the window. Even though my Dad probably did when a hot rod pulled up next to him blaring Bo Diddley.

Reply to
BUB 209

"George" wrote in news:406d57b2 snipped-for-privacy@newspeer2.tds.net:

NO, it can't. The FCC like every other goverment agency has a charter which dictates what it can and can not do. The FCC was created to regulate licensing and technical issues. They have somehow now become the arbiters of what is and is not indecent in broadcasting. The problem is that they do not have that authority. The issue of indecency (which was already decided by the Supreme Court more than 30 years ago) is one for the courts not for a regulatory agency.

Reply to
Secret Squirrel

My family and I live in a racially mixed neighborhood (Hopewell, VA). Everyone gets along great with no racial overtones (at least not that we've encountered). My daughter refers to black people as brown people because as a 5 year old, that's how she views it. We stopped at a small convenience store last May. There was an SUV parked in front of the store with no one in it and it was blaring "gangster rap". The song that was playing was clearly echoing the "N" word every second. My daughter, curious and having been talking clearly since 2, asked me what the "N" word meant. I explained that it was JUST a word that bad people call brown people. I played it DOWN because I didn't want to encourage further curiosity about the matter. A five minute answer would have provoked a day of thought on the subject and 20 more questions. More knowledge than I care to place on a 5 year old mind. I started fuming that my daughter had been put in a situation to hear this against MY will. I proceeded to go into the store and ask who owned the Ford Expedition outside. A young black man (accompanied by an older black woman that I assumed was his mother) acknowledged that it was his. I told him my daughter had a question for him and proceeded to let her ask HIM what that word meant. His attitude quickly turned to anger as he heard her question. He looked at me and started (notice I said started) to go into a racially charged rant and puff his chest at me. His mother was just as shocked that the "N" word just came from my daughter's mouth. I simply held up a finger to pause him for a second, and asked my daughter to tell him where she heard that word, to which she replied "a song". I then asked her where she heard that song, and she pointed to his vehicle "right there". He looked confused but his mother's face turned to anger as she turned towards him. I then sarcastically thanked him for educating my daughter on the subject and started walking away. The MOTHER, not the young man, followed us out to the car and stopped me. She apologized to my daughter for it and asked me why I did that [confronted the young man]. I replied that I thought it was my responsibility as a parent and person to point out to the young man the consequences of that song (playing aloud) and that I have NO problem with the music, only that it should be heard by adults exclusively. I also expressed my belief that music like that (and Eminem, David Allan Coe et al) only serves to degrade young minds and goes against all that I am TRYING to teach my daughter. I told her once that door is open, it's hard to close. I can't unteach my daughter about that word. I have no problem with sound minded adults listening to it privately in an atmosphere of adults. She said that made perfect since and apologized to me and walked away. As we were leaving, I could hear her rant at her son as a CASE of CD's was flying from her side of his SUV. The last thing I could hear was him yelling a sentence that contained the word bitch. I can only assume that he was calling her (or my daughter) that word. I can also assume that he provided further proof to her of the validity of the point that I was making.

Do you think HE learned anything from was had just occurred? Do you really think that the First Amendment was designed to protect vulgarities?

Reply to
Bill Everette

Regards, Doug Miller (alphageek-at-milmac-dot-com)

Doug Miller

Bill Everette wrote: ...

Bloody well done.

Reply to
Musky

Actually, if you were not full of yourself, but information, you would know that the issue of obscenity is a local issue. And this case of lessors of the public airways is a perfect example. Locals enter their comments in the stations' FCC license files as they will, and if that isn't letting local standards decide, I don't know what is.

Supreme Court is a place where people with bad manners or dictatorial pretensions take their case when they find it's against the common standard.

Reply to
George

Not only that, but while you're free to speak, that doesn't include the free use of the broadcast equipment owned by someone else. Clear Channel owns the radio stations, they can change their mind about what they broadcast for any reason or for no reason at all. Stern has no say over what they choose to broadcast.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Bravo, Bill. Well done.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

From your original post, I had no doubt that it would.

Have a nice week...

Trent

What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.

Reply to
Trent©

"George" wrote in news:406dbf79 snipped-for-privacy@newspeer2.tds.net:

I'm quite well aware of that. I'm also aware that obscenity and indecency are not the same thing, nor are they regulated in the same manner. This issue concerns indecency. And no one, including me wants indeceny broadcast over the public airwaves. The point I was making, which you clearly failed to grasp is that the issue of indecency was settled by the Supreme Court. The FCC has the authority to enforce that ruling. They do not have the authority to create a new definition for indecency.

And this case of

You're joking right? Now you know better than the Supreme court? Oh and by the way, complaintant who brought the suit I was quoting was the FCC itself. The case is FCC v. Pacifica in case you'd like to do a little actual research

Reply to
Secret Squirrel

I think I see the problem here.

Pencil "lead" hasn't been made of lead in decades, maybe a century. Pencil "lead" is graphite, that is carbon. I have yet to see a single study that links carbon to much of anything.

If you are homeschooling, I pray for the deliverance of your children from your "education" of them.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

I was educated decades ago! My mechanical still take leads, though! (or so they're called).

Thank you for correcting me and making me feel older than I thought I was.

Reply to
Bill Everette

They may be called that, but there's no lead in them at all.

Doug Miller

Old teachings never die. I'm still trying to convince my mother that blood isn't blue and that hair isn't dead skin cells.

Reply to
Bill Everette

Hello Fred the Red Shirt,

I'm conducting an impromptu study in outrageous Usenet stupidity, and I've chosen you to be my test subject, you lucky guy!

My question is: Why are you posting this follow-up in alt.flame, when the person you're replying to won't even see it, you cowardly tit? It's not as though the person you're replying to set the follow-ups out of his subscribed group or anything. Also, why is it that your post is entirely devoid of flame and off-topic for this newsgroup? I mean, If you're dim-witted enough to post a reply in a group where the person you're following up to doesn't even read, and you're not going to entertain me with a flame, why not use alt.test? For that matter, you might even use alt.personals where some other sad sack of wet shit much like yourself might read it and, who knows, you just might find a mate or something? Stranger things have happened...

Reply to
Thomas Hill

*snip*

*snip*.

While I am not really interested in joining the contest, I have to point out one glaring factual error here. There is no lead in a "lead" pencil. The core is graphite, with a binder (Clay of some sort, I seem to recall...ah yes...here is a link:

There may have been lead in the paint on the outside of the pencil, at one TIME, but, not for years. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt